• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

jerky rods

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 12, 2007
I was wondering if I could use just plain ole stainles steel or do I need to use food grade. I can get my hands on stainless very easy, and I could just slide them right into the GOSM . If I can use ss should I season first?

Thanks

Jeff

goat

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 27, 2005
IMHO it does not even have to be stainless, but I see no reason to go food grade.

goat

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 27, 2005
I have an old German friend who hangs his over rebar. Of course that rebar has seen a many smokes in the old smokehouse.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
i have use wooden dowels as well, you can also get screens, but stainless is good, my home built smoker had stainless racks on it, dont know if they were food grade when they came from an industrial sample drying oven

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
When we had the two smokehouses, we used 1/4 in X 1/2 in X 4 ft channel iron to hang the hams and bacon on. For the heavier hams, we would place a 4 foot section of rebar in the channel.

With Stainless Steel having a very smooth surface, there would be nothing for the seasoning to hold on too. it may eventually turn darker but I doubt that you'll ever achive the shiny black that we get inside our smokers or with cast iron.

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 12, 2007
As always thanks for the help!! Looks like there is some jerky getting done real soon!!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.