Jerky Recipe ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What was it that you did not like about your recipe. Sounded good.
The flavor lol
Just .. man, not good to me. Tasted like soy sauce and worcestershire , I'm gonna try to eat it,... no promises though lol

This is what I usually use, it comes out amazing, but just had to try this style since it seems to be so popular.

Attachments

• highmountain.jpg
    highmountain.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 36
Ah I see........you got kids? I find my boy will wolf down pretty much any jerky I make LOL

Here are some more recipes.

Attachments

• Jerky Recioes.txt
    82.8 KB · Views: 98
Ah I see........you got kids? I find my boy will wolf down pretty much any jerky I make LOL

Here are some more recipes.
me kids? (or someone else?)
Me no kids, have a couple dogs though, those are our kids :)

that's a ton of recipes, I'll save that file for when I'm adventurous again, thanks!

Reactions: KBFlyer
The flavor lol
Just .. man, not good to me. Tasted like soy sauce and worcestershire , I'm gonna try to eat it,... no promises though lol

This is what I usually use, it comes out amazing, but just had to try this style since it seems to be so popular.
Just a tidbit, if you like the High Mountain commercial seasoning (which is very good ) ,you should try the High Country. I made the switch and prefer that much more than the High Mountain

Good recipes going on here. I've just made batch number 5, similar to those recipes listed here. However, on two occasions I used a cup of Dales low sodium in place of the soy and the texture was too brittle for me, especially when compared to other types with the same cook time. Anyone else notice this? I'm wondering if I needed to add more water, since the Dales is kind of thick.

Just a tidbit, if you like the High Mountain commercial seasoning (which is very good ) ,you should try the High Country. I made the switch and prefer that much more than the High Mountain
I'll give that one a try then, never heard of it. Our local store carries High Mountain so that's how I found it, never thought there might be others like it :)

Here is a pretty simple one if you want it.

Hillbilly backwoods jerky

5 lb meat strips
2 T non iodized salt
1 t cure 1
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
2 T onion powder
1 cup soy sauce (you can use low sodium)
1 cup worcestershire
2 cups cold distilled water.
1 can of pepsi or coke

Mix all together and marinate strip from12-24 hours. Smoke or dehydrate your normal way

Thank you for the simple Hillbilly Backwoods Jerky recipe.

This is my first batch doing it the right, SAFE way with curing and baking before drying. Simple and flavorful was my goal and your recipe delivered with ingredients I always have kicking around.

After soaking for three days and oven-dried to perfection, your recipe on an eye round is deeeelicious! I'm glad I cut against the grain to make it an easy chew so I can have two or three nice strips at a time!

Murph

I see everyone hanging their jerky in their vertical smokers,
What woudl be the better options for in a offset grill / smoker? Just lay them out on the grates?

I see everyone hanging their jerky in their vertical smokers,
What woudl be the better options for in a offset grill / smoker? Just lay them out on the grates?
You can get those Non-Stick BBQ Grill Mats from Amazon or many other places. Just cut to fit and lay the jerky out. I have done this when I cannot be bothered to hang the meat. The only thing is you might have to rotate the meat every so often from the heat.

Attachments

• 20151017_092343.jpg
    20151017_092343.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 31
You can get those Non-Stick BBQ Grill Mats from Amazon or many other places. Just cut to fit and lay the jerky out. I have done this when I cannot be bothered to hang the meat. The only thing is you might have to rotate the meat every so often from the heat.

I am leaning towards buying those mats.
Skewering and hanging large jerky batches is a PITA.

Thank you! I'll add them to my supply list

Thank you for the simple Hillbilly Backwoods Jerky recipe.

This is my first batch doing it the right, SAFE way with curing and baking before drying. Simple and flavorful was my goal and your recipe delivered with ingredients I always have kicking around.

After soaking for three days and oven-dried to perfection, your recipe on an eye round is deeeelicious! I'm glad I cut against the grain to make it an easy chew so I can have two or three nice strips at a time!

Murph

My WORD! I'm eating my third effort at this recipe. I absolutely LOVE it!

Dude... this is what I think jerky should taste like!

Time got away from me and I wound up soaking my eye round for a week and a half or so. I'm glad I sliced some healthy 3/8" hunks. It's even BETTER! My previous efforts soaked for 5-6 days and had a flavorless finish. Like one hour-old chewed gum.

This batch ROCKS! I don't remember but I must have upped the red pepper flakes or something because I'm getting a real nice zing here. All the way through. Also, by the way, I snuck in some MSG (or Accent from the supermarket). And some liquid smoke because I'm oven-drying. Real good ideas!

Thank you, Devo1! My search for a good jerky recipe is over. Man, this stuff is good. Just a straight-up Backwoods Hillbilly chew. Legit when dried to perfection.

Whip it! (A Devo tune.)

Murph

• Haha
Reactions: KBFlyer
Glad you like it. It is one of my go to recipes. The original recipe never had the pop added and it was a add on from one of my other recipes. Not sure how much it adds to it but seems to work just fine. Always fun adding more or less to get to where you might like it. I can't take hot anymore. To many hot peppers in my day has done me in so the mild bite is just fine with me. :emoji_wink:

Glad you like it. It is one of my go to recipes. The original recipe never had the pop added and it was a add on from one of my other recipes. Not sure how much it adds to it but seems to work just fine. Always fun adding more or less to get to where you might like it. I can't take hot anymore. To many hot peppers in my day has done me in so the mild bite is just fine with me. :emoji_wink:

Done me in... yep! Sometimes I'll look back and wonder why I'm still alive.

You're right about being able to tweak a recipe. The nice thing about yours, though, is the simplicity and flavor. Adding the cola gives someone permission to do whatever they want with it (ginger ale, whipped cream?).

It is tasty, though. I'm new to curing and just stick to Pop's brine. The cure is what brings the sparkly twinge in the background, right? I mean, do you think I could get the same flavor without the pink salt?

Murph

do you think I could get the same flavor without the pink salt?

Murph
Really do not know as I use cure on whole muscle and ground meats. I have friends who do not use cure at all. They are still alive but you know what, cure is cheap so why not use it?
Might not be needed but why take that one chance that might do you in. LOL

Reactions: BXMurphy
No I have not. I would think you will have to cut back the liquids a lot. I have made GB jerky using
3.3-3.5 oz of Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce for the liquid per pound.
Not a fan of GB jerky so its been years since I made any.

Devo1, I'm dredging up an old post but you've been so generous with your recipe and responses. Got time for another?...

I've been slicing an eye round and THEN wet curing. Are you curing (and baking off/smoking?) a whole roast and slicing later?

I've seen your later post of strips hanging in a smoker. Which smoker are you using and what are your sequence of steps?

Your finished product looks to die for. I bet it tastes fantastic with the smoke!

Jerky's a great little snack but store-bought has never excited me enough to justify the cost. Your Backwoods Hillbilly is terrific! I've never done a home-made batch that could compete with store-bought until I happened upon your recipe. I'm hooked! Would you mind helping a hopeless newbie with your sequence?

Murph

Devo1, I'm dredging up an old post but you've been so generous with your recipe and responses. Got time for another?...

I've been slicing an eye round and THEN wet curing. Are you curing (and baking off/smoking?) a whole roast and slicing later?

I've seen your later post of strips hanging in a smoker. Which smoker are you using and what are your sequence of steps?

Your finished product looks to die for. I bet it tastes fantastic with the smoke!

Jerky's a great little snack but store-bought has never excited me enough to justify the cost. Your Backwoods Hillbilly is terrific! I've never done a home-made batch that could compete with store-bought until I happened upon your recipe. I'm hooked! Would you mind helping a hopeless newbie with your sequence?

Murph
Sounds to me you have it nailed already LOL
I do buy eye of round as it is a cheap roast to buy with little trimming. For smoking I use my old Bradly smoker. If the weather is not right I do have a large dehydrator and I will add liquid smoke to the mix. Not my idea of smoked jerky but the kid does not seem to mind.

Attachments

• 20170401_110901.jpg
    20170401_110901.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 26
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky