Jerky makes us crazy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
is that article using the word nitrate and meaning to use nitrite? Or was that jerkey celery based cured?

Pink Curing Salt #1 (2lb Prague Powder) by Anthony's
  • Pink salt containing 6.25% Sodium Nitrite for curing meats

is that article using the word nitrate and meaning to use nitrite? Or was that jerkey celery based cured?

Pink Curing Salt #1 (2lb Prague Powder) by Anthony's
  • Pink salt containing 6.25% Sodium Nitrite for curing meats
Zip,perhaps you should contact the author of the article to clarify this juxtaposition;)

I agree.
Anyone calling themselves a writer better be ready to at least get the words right.
Seamus seems to be shameless with his ignorance.
Somebody should give him a bottle of Chlorine and a bottle of Ammonia to mix up in the bathtub...
That would fix the problem.

slimjim.gif
Whatever is in the snack sticks, jerky , slim Jim's he means.

Last edited:
How seriously can you take a site named "boingboing.net", anyhow? There will always be scare stories about how bad nitrates are for you. Most of them really mean nitrites, almost all are flawed scientifically, and most are probably authored by bitter vegans.

Reactions: SonnyE
Most of them really mean nitrites, almost all are flawed scientifically, and most are probably authored by bitter vegans.
"Bitter vegans?" Isn't that redundant?

Some day when I'm visiting a vegan's house, I'm going to ask them to fix me a hamburger. I can't tell you how many times we've had vegetarians or vegans visit, and they request/demand that we create a special meal for them. I figure, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Reactions: mike5051
How seriously can you take a site named "boingboing.net", anyhow? There will always be scare stories about how bad nitrates are for you. Most of them really mean nitrites, almost all are flawed scientifically, and most are probably authored by bitter vegans.
Vegans don't taste bitter to me?

Reactions: SonnyE
Vegans are my go-to when the SHTF.
Taste like pork. Easy to find and butcher.

Zippy, Vegan gets left in camp with the squaws to gather wood and tubers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky