Jerk Chicken/Pork Sausage " FAIL " with Jamaican Rice and Peas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy David, not sure what to say as I've never stuffed any sausage into casings that I didn't first grind myself. When making chicken sausage the skin of the bird is always used for it's fat content, no idea what ground chicken sold at the market has in the way of fat content. I will say your links sure do look good! Having a grinder is the only way to go as you control everything that goes into and comes out of it, it pays for itself with better quality meat that's more safe to eat. RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

I understand what you are saying, and it all makes since to me. Yes I need a grinder because I really want to go further in the sausage world and always wanted to make Kielbasa for Mona as that is her favorite sliced cold . The links were good and the casings were a lot better this time . Better soaking and handling.

So I now have to figure which grinder to get for small batches ( 5 pounds +/- at the most )

David

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking I really enjoyed your post, no matter how it turned out, the fantastic pictures and play by play of the process was a great read that will be useful and enjoyable to many!

I would throw out a couple points for you to consider for next time, which might be useful.
1. Sausage juiciness, and even flavor, is mostly tied to fat content. Its been proven over and over, you need 20 to 30% fat for a good tasting juicy sausage. Ground chicken has about 0% fat. Assuming your pork had 20% fat, your total was just 7.8% fat, not enough to give good juice or flavor. Much of the flavor is carried by fat. I would add 260 to 300 g of pork fat to your sausage myself, an additional 12 to 14%.
2. Water or liquid. Most sausages have 10% or more water added. In long slow smoke cooks like yours, most of it will be evaporated off during cook, so often folks will go 15% or more for that style of cook. The water does play a big role in perceived dryness, though fat content is usually what folks are describing as "juiciness". I would use 220ml water as a starting point for your recipe, so there would be some left after a 6 hr evaporation cook.
3. Texture-- I would NOT say you over mixed, per se, for a slow smoked sausage. But maybe that you're not clear on the target texture? Let me explain What I mean. Fresh sausages like brats or Italian, have a lightly bound looser texture than smoked sausage like kielbasa. That is totally intentional and comes from length of mixing, binder, and fat content. Your sausage texture looks exactly like what I would expect a slow smoked sausage to look like, a uniform solid mass that isn't semi-crumbly like a brat. It's perfect for your process. However, maybe in your mind you're thinking more of a fresh sausage brat-like texture? If that is the case, then just a quick mix with lower protein extraction, no NFDM binder, more fat, and a higher temp faster cook might give you the texture in mind? I'm just guessing what you're after based on your comments, but I personally like that sliceable texture you got! ;)

4. Binder. Thats a good bit of NFDM, which is used to lock the fat and water into bond with the proteins so it doesn't run out loose. Useful for high fat or liquid sausage and slow cooks, so fat doesnt render and moisture stays high. In your case, you had so little fat or moisture, that no binder was really needed, and you get the perception of dry with no juiciness.
With chicken sausage, the trick is to get enough fat and water into it and hold it, so I would use NFDM but it needs that 25% fat and 10% water to work with. And as said bybothers, you don't really need it with pork, though it is a nice insurance if your smoker temps get above 180 a bit.

Hope those comments are helpful to achieving the target sausage in mind! But I myself like the look of your product, and your rice dish is a great usage! Thanks again for your super enjoyable post and letting us be part of your cook, and journey--I love following along, and really appreciate it!

Thanks Dave for the comment

This is very helpful Dave, thank you. Nice of you to say about the full post and how you liked it no mater the outcome.
I have no problem in showing my failures ( well not all of them for sure ,lol ).
All your info is very helpful and I really appreciate your time in telling me all this as I do with all the members that give their knowledge, that is how I will learn.
I printed off you breakdown on the 4 categories for a better sausage and into my sausage folder, thank you for all of this.

Hope those comments are helpful to achieving the target sausage in mind! But I myself like the look of your product, and your rice dish is a great usage! Thanks again for your super enjoyable post and letting us be part of your cook, and journey--I love following along, and really appreciate it!
Yes Dave, your comments are very helpful and glad you like my process and the look

David

Sorry it didn't work out David. The sausage looks pretty good overall.

I would agree. This looks almost like it was mixed to the point of emulsification. You cannot see the individual pieces of meat in the sausage.

I agree on both counts. Something to consider if you're intent on using a binder. Do away with the NFDM and try using STPP. I only used the NFDM once and did not like the texture of the finished produce. The STPP made a HUGE difference. Works beautifully as a binder but does not change the texture of the sausage.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

I under stand what you and the others are saying, I have also read your how to post on sausages and it was helpful also. I just stepped way past my pay grade
on sausage making by trying to make something on my own with out getting a better handle on just basic sausage making and going with a tried sausage recipe.

But as you know sometimes I don't even listen to myself.

I will now have to look up STPP and somehow sneak a new grinder into the house ,lol

David

It's a bummer that the flavor faded as the pictures sure made it look tasty. I do love the jerk flavor and GFS 1 gallon jerk sauce is a tasty surprise with some decent heat. I know buying a one gallon bottle at 26 bucks is a bit of an overload but I had a friend split it with me. My rating 4.8 out of 5 for jerk sauce.. Use it on thighs, wings and will keep you informed as I am thinking of adding it to make some goose jerk hot sticks with some reapers I dehydrated.

Thanks Burly for the comment

Yes the flavour was almost none existing. I have a few Jerk sauces that I really like but did not want to put into the mixture as I thought it would make it too wet.
Hind site I should have used them instead of the seasoning .

David

Rice and peas look great.
The others have answered the questions on the sausage for the next time.
A lot of the volatile flavorings from spices are dissolved in fat not water
Don't over smoke / cook your sausage

Thanks John for the comment

yes everyone is very helpful , and that is why I really like it here. No one beats you up or S**T's on you for making mistakes , and really try and help pass on their know how.

David

I have nothing on to offer on sausage, but hats off for going at it! I’d say you made an awesome meal out of it though and I’m impressed!

Thanks Jed for the like and the comment

It was fun to do just not the result that I was going for , But I have to say
that it was a learning process and every time I make sausages it means I am getting better at stuffing and making my links
So it is all good for me , and now that means try again and sneak a grinder into the house this close to Christmas. LOL

David

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky