• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
This meal is one of the most requested by my family. It's a bunch of Prep but the results are so worth the work and cook time. The Beef can be Smoked, Char Grilled or Seared in the Dutch Oven. I got a late start, so the meat was Seared on the Stove. This step is a bit time consuming, but patience pays off as that Browned Beef add all important Color and Flavor. My family prefers Chuck Roast for this, I LOVE the Rich, Silky Mouth Feel the Collagen in Oxtails gives the dish. So, I made BOTH!

The lineup of Ingredients...
20210726_170956.jpg

Sear off the Beef...
20210726_164324.jpg

3 Pounds of Oxtails. Most of one Tail.
NOTE: Request 1" thick Slices of Oxtails, much easier to Eat with Fingers! A good Butcher will cut to order and have trimmed most of the Fat...
20210726_164329.jpg

The Vegetables have been sautéed until brown and all the ingredients added...
20210726_174743.jpg

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 3 hours or until the meat is Pull apart tender.
Meanwhile, make the Spinner (Dumpling Dough) and rest 1 hour. The following is the Make Up of the Spinners...
20210726_195717.jpg

Halfway there...
20210726_195701.jpg

The Cookie Sheet is Full!...
20210726_201323.jpg

20210726_201328.jpg

When the Meat is Tender, remove it from the pot to a sheet pan. The Chuck Roast gets broken into 2" Chunk or Shredded, remaining fat and connective tissue discarded. Skim the layer of fat from the Broth, bring to a Boil and stir in the Spinners. I got them all in in 8 steps. Stir frequently and scrape the bottom of the pot for any that stick...
20210726_220133.jpg

Pot Roast.

Boil the Spinners 15 minutes, the Gravy will thicken and return the meat to the pot...
20210726_220203.jpg

Serve in Bowls with Lots of Gravy!
My bowl of Oxtails...
20210726_220018.jpg

20210726_220033.jpg
20210726_220029.jpg

I would have gotten a pic of the bowls with Pot Roast and Spinners, but my Wife and Daughter started eating while I was shooting my bowl.😆

Hope you guys make the effort sometime. Totally worth the work.
The Full Recipe follows. Thanks for sharing in the Fun...JJ

Jamaican Pot Roast and Spinners

5 Lbs Chuck or 6 to 9 Lbs Oxtails
2T Bacon Fat or oil
2Tbs Sugar
2C Diced Onion
2C Diced Carrots
2C Diced Celery
1/2C Chopped Scallions
1Tbs Minced Garlic
1/2C Soy Sauce
1/4C Ketchup
1Tbs Kitchen Bouquet or Browning Sauce.
1Tbs Worcestshire Sauce
1Tbs Maggi Seasoning Liquid (Optional)
2tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp Whole Black Pepper, finely crushed
12ea Allspice Berries, a heaping tsp finely crushed
1bunch Fresh Thyme.
A bundle the size of your thumb, tied with...
1ea Large Bayleaf
8C Beef Stock or Water.

Optional: 1ea Whole Scotch Bonnet or Habanero. Halve or mince for more Heat!
I make the dish without for Bev, then the rest of us add Crushed Red Pepper or our favorite Hot Sauce at the table...

In an 8 Quart DO or Heavy Pot, Brown the Meat Well over high heat, and set aside.
Reduce heat to low and add the Sugar.
Stir until a Dark but not Burnt Caramel forms.
Quickly Add the Diced Mirepoix, increase the heat and saute until starting to softened.
Add the Scallions and Garlic, saute until fragrant, about a minute.
Deglaze with the Soy Sauce.
Add the Remaining and Stir well.
Add the Beef to the pot.
Bring to Boil, Reduce to Simmer, cover and cook, 3 hours or until meat is Probe Tender or falling off the Bones.

Remove the Meat and set aside. Skim Fat.
Bring the Broth back to a rolling Boil.
Add the Spinners and loose Flour, to the Boiling Broth, a dozen or so at a time, stirring to separate and get any sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Boil until the Spinners are aldente or to your liking, 15 to 20 miniutes or so, and the Gravy thickens. Stir Frequently and Adjust with water if needed.

Meanwhile, break rhe Beef into the desired sized Chunks, removing excess Fat and Connective Tissue. (Dogs Treat)
Taste the Gravy and Spinners for doneness. Adjust Salt, Pepper to Taste.
Return Meat to the Pot to reheat and serve in Large Bowls like Stew.

MAKES 8 TO 10 SERVINGS. Or, Plenty of Leftover that get better after a day or two. Can be Frozen.

NOTE: Many Recipes include the addition of BUTTER BEANS to the pot, if Canned, at the end. My guys don't care for the texture...

Steamed/Simmered Tender, Cabbage, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Bayleaf, S & P, is a Classic Side...

Jamaican Spinners (Easy Method)

6C AP Flour
2Tbs Oil of choice
1Tbs Kosher Salt
1tsp Baking POWDER.
2 1/2C Water

Combine all in a KA or other Mixer Bowl.
Using the Dough Hook, mix until a Smooth Dough forms, about 10 minutes.
Oil the Dough and Bowl lighly, cover and Rest on the counter while the Pot Roast cooks, at least an Hour or longer.

MAKE-UP...

Place the Dough on the work surface. Leave a Clean 12-16 inch Tall and Wide Rolling Area, directly in front of yourself.
Spread a 1/2 inch Thick, 6 X 12 inch wide layer of Flour above your Rolling Area.
Using a Bench Knife, cut a 1-2 inch thick strip of Dough from the ball.
Roll into a 1/2 inch thick Snake and push it into the flour pile.
Continue to Roll, until you have 4-5 Snakes in the Flour.
Using yourBench Knife, cut the Snakes into 1/2 to 1 inch Pillows, aka Gnocchi.
Toss the pillows until well floured.
Lift and place the dumplings on a Parchment Lined or Floured Cookie Sheet.
Continue Rolling and Cutting until all the dough is used up. You will get Fast with Practice!
When ready, using a long handled Spoon, slide a dozen or so Spinners into the Boiling Broth, excess flour and all.
Stir each addition well.
Simmer to desired doneness.

TRADITIONALLY! Each Pillow or small piece of torn dough would be Rolled
" SPUN between the palms "
into Individual 2" Snakes and added to the boiling broth ONE BY ONE!!!
Way too much work for these old Bones and Hands!

Attachments

• 20210726_220200.jpg
    20210726_220200.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
Love Oxtail!! I smoke the Oxtail for three hours then into a aluminum pan with beef broth and in the smoker for Two more hours at 225degrees.

Yours is worth the like!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
This meal is one of the most requested by my family. It's a bunch of Prep but the results are so worth the work and cook time. The Beef can be Smoked, Char Grilled or Seared in the Dutch Oven. I got a late start, so the meat was Seared on the Stove. This step is a bit time consuming, but patience pays off as that Browned Beef add all important Color and Flavor. My family prefers Chuck Roast for this, I LOVE the Rich, Silky Mouth Feel the Collagen in Oxtails gives the dish. So, I made BOTH!

View attachment 505697

Sear off the Beef...View attachment 505698

3 Pounds of Oxtails. Most of one Tail. A good Butcher will have trimmed most of the Fat...
View attachment 505699

View attachment 505700

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 3 hours or until the meat is Pull apart tender.
Meanwhile, make the Spinner (Dumpling Dough) and rest 1 hour. The following is the Make Up of the Spinners...
View attachment 505701
Halfway there...
View attachment 505702

View attachment 505703
View attachment 505704

When the Meat is Tender, remove it from the pot to a sheet pan. The Chuck Roast gets broken into 2" Chunk or Shredded, remaining fat and connective tissue discarded. Skim the layer of fat from the Broth, bring to a Boil and stir in the Spinners. I got them all in in 8 steps. Stir frequently and scrape the bottom of the pot for any that stick...
View attachment 505707
Pot Roast.

Boil the Spinners 15 minutes, the Gravy will thicken and return the meat to the pot...
View attachment 505709

My bowl of Oxtails...
View attachment 505710
View attachment 505711View attachment 505712

I would have gotten a pic of the bowls with Pot Roast and Spinners, but my Wife and Daughter started eating while I was shooting my bowl.😆

2T Bacon Fat or oil
2Tbs Sugar
2C Diced Onion
2C Diced Carrots
2C Diced Celery
1/2C Chopped Scallions
1Tbs Minced Garlic
1/2C Soy Sauce
1Tbs Worcestshire Sauce
2tsp Kosher Salt
1bunch Fresh Thyme.
1ea Large Bayleaf
8C Beef Stock or Water.

I make the dish without for Bev, then the rest of us add Crushed Red Pepper or our favorite Hot Sauce at the table...

In an 8 Quart DO or Heavy Pot, Brown the Meat Well over high heat, and set aside.
Quickly Add the Diced Mirepoix, increase the heat and saute until starting to softened.
Add the Beef to the pot.
Bring to Boil, Reduce to Simmer, cover and cook, 3 hours or until meat is Probe Tender or falling off the Bones.

Add the Spinners and loose Flour, to the Boiling Broth, a dozen or so at a time, stirring to separate and get any sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Boil until the Spinners are aldente or to your liking, 15 to 20 miniutes or so, and the Gravy thickens. Stir Frequently and Adjust with water if needed.

Meanwhile, break rhe Beef into the desired sized Chunks, removing excess Fat and Connective Tissue. (Dogs Treat)

MAKES 8 TO 10 SERVINGS. Or, Plenty of Leftover that get better after a day or two. Can be Frozen.

NOTE: Many Recipes include the addition of BUTTER BEANS to the pot, if Canned, at the end. My guys don't care for the texture...

Steamed/Simmered Tender, Cabbage, Carrots, Celery, Onion, Bayleaf, S & P, is a Classic Side...

6C AP Flour
2Tbs Oil of choice
1Tbs Kosher Salt
1tsp Baking POWDER.
2 1/2C Water

Oil the Dough and Bowl lighly, cover and Rest on the counter while the Pot Roast cooks, at least an Hour or longer.

MAKE-UP...

Place the Dough on the work surface. Leave a Clean 12-16 inch Tall and Wide Rolling Area, directly in front of yourself.
Spread a 1/2 inch Thick, 6 X 12 inch wide layer of Flour above your Rolling Area.
Continue Rolling and Cutting until all the dough is used up. You will get Fast with Practice!
When ready, using a long handled Spoon, slide a dozen or so Spinners into the Boiling Broth, excess flour and all.
Stir each addition well.

Oxtail is high on my list! That looks absolutely delicious. Nicely done Sir.

That Jamaican pot roast looks absolutely delicious JJ! I’ve seen oxtail around here but never tried it.

Bookmarked to the bucket list. Looking forward to making this in the Fall with some chuck.

Thanks Guys. The Spinner Dumplings work equally well to turn any Soup into a Stew. I will use the same recipe with Chicken Soup for a Hearty Chicken and Dumplings!...JJ

Reactions: Wurstmeister

View attachment 505697

Sear off the Beef...View attachment 505698

3 Pounds of Oxtails. Most of one Tail. A good Butcher will have trimmed most of the Fat...
View attachment 505699

View attachment 505700

View attachment 505701
Halfway there...
View attachment 505702

View attachment 505703
View attachment 505704

View attachment 505707
Pot Roast.

View attachment 505709

My bowl of Oxtails...
View attachment 505710
View attachment 505711View attachment 505712

2T Bacon Fat or oil
2Tbs Sugar
2C Diced Onion
2C Diced Carrots
2C Diced Celery
1/2C Chopped Scallions
1Tbs Minced Garlic
1/2C Soy Sauce
1Tbs Worcestshire Sauce
2tsp Kosher Salt
1bunch Fresh Thyme.
1ea Large Bayleaf
8C Beef Stock or Water.

Add the Beef to the pot.

6C AP Flour
2Tbs Oil of choice
1Tbs Kosher Salt
1tsp Baking POWDER.
2 1/2C Water

MAKE-UP...

Stir each addition well.

Wow, nothing more to say

• Haha
Looks fantastic! My first experience with oxtails was earlier this year making birria tacos.. so freaking good!

• Wow
giphy.gif

Post up that damn delicious looking meal and make me hungry!! Looks amazing Jimmy! I see oxtails at the store all the time but never have tried them. I guess I will be picking some up now. Got this bookmarked to try out sometime. Thanks for sharing the detailed recipe!

Birria Tacos with Oxtail sounds amazing! My family are just not fans of the Fattiness or Lip Sticky Gelatin. I don't know what's Wrong with them.😆...JJ

Reactions: kilo charlie
Thanks all. Those of you sitting on the Fence over trying Oxtails...Do it. They have a beefy flavor and give lots of Gelatin. Beef Stew or Pot Roast on Steroids! First time I had them, I was hooked...JJ

That looks delicious! Definitely gonna give this a go! Have to find some oxtail... my dang ox just ran off! :emoji_laughing: Give me a straw and I'll take a bowl of gravy!

Ryan

Awesome write up JJ you spoke of making this at our first gathering then you had eye surgery and didn't get to come. Love anything with dumplings but at my house I would be the only one that would eat it.

Warren

• Sad
Wow Jimmy!! That looks absolutely outstanding. Very nice cook and an excellent write-up. Never had oxtails but have wanted to get some at some point. this may well be the catalyst for me to seek them out.

Robert

Quit lying. We know you don't like gravy :emoji_laughing: I was kinda thinking just a couple slices of butter bread for sopping it all up would befine.

Robert
:emoji_laughing: sssshhhh, don't say that too loud lol! Oh yes, gravy bread...that's actually a thing around here, when you're too full to eat anymore but it was so good... slice of bread smothered in gravy! Guess that makes it a dessert! :emoji_wink:

Ryan

Birria Tacos with Oxtail sounds amazing! My family are just not fans of the Fattiness or Lip Sticky Gelatin. I don't know what's Wrong with them.😆...JJ

Their loss! HAHA! I used a couple pounds of oxtails and 3 pounds of chuck roast in mine.. mixed all together and no one will ever know LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky