• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Jalapeno EQ recipe?

wesir

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2014
Anyone have a decent Jalapeno bacon EQ recipe? I attempted a batch with 5% blended fresh Jalapeno and didn't get hardly any flavor out of it, I skipped dusting it at the end because the cure looked like a green sludge and I figured it wasn't needed.

The recipe I used:
2% salt
2% sugar
4% black fine ground black pepper
5% fresh blended jalapeno
0.25% cure

I'm wondering if using a needle tenderizer on it would let the flavor penetrate more than the skin or if I need to just add the flavor to the bag after slicing it and let it soak in. Thanks

wesir

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2014
I would add it after the cure when forming the pelicle. I do that with maple sugar.
That makes sense, so you thinking I should rinse the meat off and glaze it on top and let it dry there? Guess I could try dehydrating some and grinding it up as well but the other thread I found about jalapeno bacon said the powdered stuff wasn't as strong, but maybe that's only for store bought and not home made.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Thats something you will have toplay with. I know people cant get maple flavor. I cure with maple sugar then dust it after the cure. Something to try maybe.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I get the maple flavor by brushing maple syrup on the bacon strips when I bake it in the oven,...

1594434399485.jpeg

I let the bacon get just about done then brush it on.... I usually let it dry out and form a 'maple sugar' crust... then I can snack on it all day....

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.