Jalapeno drying?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
A guy at work just gave me a gallon bag about half full of smallish jalapeno peppers. I have about a half dozen regular size on the plant yet. Can I dehydrate them on a dehydrator and grind or crush and use as powder later? Do they keep decent? How long to dry? Will smoking a bit first do much? First time growing jalapenos.

I’ve done jalapeño powder before, I used a dehydrator. I don’t remember the exact amount of time but set your temp to 125 degrees and leave them in for at least 12 hours. It’ll probably take longer than 12 hours but that’s a good place to start. I cut mine in 1/4 lengthwise to speed the dehydration but you could also just slice them. The peppers should snap in half when you bend them. I used a coffee grinder to make the powder, it turned out great!

Reactions: Walchit
I do all my pepper drying in my mes 30 . I have some sweet salad peppers in there now . 24 hours at 150 . Some take longer . I use a magic bullet to grind them into powder , some I leave whole . I've had alot of peppers this year . Been drying 30 or so peppers every couple of days . I also use Al's dill pickle recipe to do Jalapeno slices . I just did a mix of sweet bell , poblano , garden salsa , jalapeno and lunch box sweet .
20180923_065622.jpg

Just for fun, take a dozen and smoke them fresh for about an hour or until they start to wrinkle. Freeze whole and chop one when making nachos or quesadillas with cheese. The smoke flavor really comes through. Been doing it for years. Warning - the home grown can be way too hot me after they're smoked.

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thought I was going to have jalapenos coming out my ears, but I was eating them as fast as they were growing. This bag of peppers helps out. My plan was to dry some all along.

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thought I was going to have jalapenos coming out my ears, but I was eating them as fast as they were growing. This bag of peppers helps out. My plan was to dry some all along.

Well, now you know you'll just have to plant MORE next year. LOL!
And probably have to buy more Ice Cream, too.

If your going to grind them into powder, dehydrate them until they break when you bend them.

Well, got them all dried a couple nights ago. Powdered them up tonight. Mashed them in the morder and pestle ( I'm sure I spelled this wrong), then ground in the pepper mill. A bit of work, but definitely opened the old sinuses. Now, what to use it on first? Thank you for all the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_210203.jpg
    IMG_20181011_210203.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 14
Cool . I was wondering how it went . I picked another 40 peppers today . How hot was the powder ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky