Jalapeno and cheddar loaf help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It does look good.
It will slice way better if it sits in the fridge and cools all the way down to fridge temps.

Looking forward to the slices and I think you are going to enjoy the rind ends as a snack while slicing :D

Reactions: hondabbq
And success.
It’s so moist. Tried to catch in on the photos but I just glistens.
Pretty good for a first try I must say.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
One or 2 small tweaks for next time.
Seems to have a bit of a thick skin and a bit chewy, but when I use the slicer for it I’m sure it will seems less.
Any other suggestions to prevent a skin on it?

Attachments

• 42CA6EDF-1107-4117-9A50-C1316D761B73.jpeg
    42CA6EDF-1107-4117-9A50-C1316D761B73.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1F411F1C-2A75-4E11-859E-B78F82166F0D.jpeg
    1F411F1C-2A75-4E11-859E-B78F82166F0D.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: chopsaw and tallbm
It does look good.
It will slice way better if it sits in the fridge and cools all the way down to fridge temps.

Looking forward to the slices and I think you are going to enjoy the rind ends as a snack while slicing :D
I already had the one end when I sliced for some tasters.
I will take it to work and slice on Monday. I’ll wrap it when it’s fully cooled then into the fridge. Maybe it will soften up a bit in the fridge before then.

Reactions: tallbm
And success.
It’s so moist. Tried to catch in on the photos but I just glistens.
Pretty good for a first try I must say.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!
One or 2 small tweaks for next time.
Seems to have a bit of a thick skin and a bit chewy, but when I use the slicer for it I’m sure it will seems less.
Any other suggestions to prevent a skin on it?
That looks pretty amazing from here!

I wonder if you wrapped it in cheese cloth while smoking if that would prevent some rind from forming.

I think no matter what you will get some. Look at summer sausage in fibrous casings, even it has some tiny skin/rind to it, but not as thick as what you may have.

You can always just cut the rind off.
The easiest way would be to split your blocks into sizes that your slicer can easily manage and then 1 got on each side of the block should remove most if not all rind on that side :)

Another nice thing of parting into blocks is that you can than stack 2 on each other and get 2 slices at once if your slicer blade is a large enough diameter.
I do this all the time to slice bacon and pastrami sandwich meat twice as quickly :)

Reactions: hondabbq
Looks great .
Put it in a zip lock bag unsliced and hold in the fridge a couple days . That will help the hard outside soften up . Like you said , using a slicer will help that too .
Not sure what the total time in the smoker was , but I've started smoking for color , then go right to cook temps . Shortens the time in the smoker which helps the outside from getting hard .

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky