Jalapeño Popper w/ Cheddar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RedSkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 11, 2020
Sienna, TX
Just thought I’d share…

BD61A744-9246-480A-B501-B9F20526457B-COLLAGE.jpeg

I'd have to make some with and some without the jalapenos.
Wife has gotten soft and doesn't like spicy foods any more.

RS, Looks delicious ! Care to share your recipe and your methods ? :)
100% Gemsbok (10#)
High Temp Cheddar (1#)
Walton’s Jalapeño Popper Premix, portioned to 10#.
2 C ice water

Mix until super sticky, stuff in 28-32 mm natural casings, air dry in the refrigerator for 36 hours.

Smoked this morning at various time/temperature profiles:

100F - 1 Hour
115F - 1 Hour
135F - 1 Hour
150F - 1 Hour

Bumped the temp to 175F until the internal temperature was 155F. Ice bath to stop the cooking process, and bloomed in the refrigerator for 2 hours before vacuum sealing. The photo I posted was a photo shoot before sealing, and I tried one during the process.

I will say, it’s a little gamey, and I’m not sure if it’s the casings or the Gemsbok itself.

Thanks for looking,
Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
RS, thanks for sharing your recipe and process. Here is a good post from one of our sausage experts on casings preperation if that was your "gamey" taste?.

How to handle natural casings

Thanks for the link! I definitely did not follow those steps. I soaked them in water for 30 minutes and didn't do a water change either... eek! Lots to learn in this game.

Thanks again for the discussion, I'll be adding a few more days/steps to my routine.

Reactions: crazymoon
Awesome looking sausage! I'd take a few of those. Is this meat gamey?
In my experience it hasn’t been. It has a grassy smell to it, but generally goes away after seasoning and cooking.

My guess is I didn’t soak/rinse the casing properly. I’ll give these ones away 😉 and get a consensus from the crowd. It could just be me, but I feel there is a slight gamey-ness to them.

Reactions: Steve H
In my experience it hasn’t been. It has a grassy smell to it, but generally goes away after seasoning and cooking.

My guess is I didn’t soak/rinse the casing properly. I’ll give these ones away 😉 and get a consensus from the crowd. It could just be me, but I feel there is a slight gamey-ness to them.
RS, IMHO I would blame the gamey taste on the animal and not the casing. Casings will make a tougher chew/bite etc. My episodes with gamey taste have come from older animals , animals that ate lousy vegetation, those that weren't processed properly or were gut shot. That critter looks like lean meat and a 25% addition of some pork butt would do wonders for your sausage. I am not an expert but I have been making sausage from deer and moose for 35 + years. P.S. I would still devour a few of your delicious links !

RS, IMHO I would blame the gamey taste on the animal and not the casing. Casings will make a tougher chew/bite etc. My episodes with gamey taste have come from older animals , animals that ate lousy vegetation, those that weren't processed properly or were gut shot. That critter looks like lean meat and a 25% addition of some pork butt would do wonders for your sausage. I am not an expert but I have been making sausage from deer and moose for 35 + years. P.S. I would still devour a few of your delicious links !
I’d be happy to give you some, are you in the Houston area?!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky