Jalapeño cheddar venison snack sticks.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I haven’t posted much lately. Been in the woods, hard at it since October. Season is winding down and I have been playing with different venison recipes. Made a 5 lb batch of LEM snack sticks a few weeks ago and they were a hit. So I did some research, ended up on the waltons web site, ordered some willies seasoning, eca and a few other goodies and I was set to try another batch.

I settled on doing 10lbs. I’ve only ever done 5lb batches, as my set up is pretty small. But I was ambitious, and did a lot of extra prep work. I used 5lbs of venison, 4lbs of Boston butt, and one lb of brisket fat. I also used 10 jalapeños and a 1lb block of kraft sharp cheddar cheese. I followed the willies seasoning mix amount and also used ECA, for the tang.
146B3A4F-4B09-4389-82A5-DDAA6C741CEC.jpeg
59DEF235-33E2-43E3-8044-4D02D4C5E738.jpeg
5D520C8E-C107-4F0B-9A74-EADAE67F9C2F.jpeg
I did a double grind, started off course, then a finer grind afterwards. Then I mixed in my seasoning, peppers and cheese as well as water and ECA the last 60 seconds of the mix. They say that if you use ECA you should go straight from stuffing to smoking so that’s what I did.
CF3BA7E9-E598-49F6-A829-C6AF93754465.jpeg
A1B9169C-0F82-47EE-AEF7-F66E91F3A97E.jpeg
CFF83A1B-1AAD-45D8-A896-C1978F472987.jpeg
95FA3FE0-89EB-44BC-AC83-D9AD013C8DB2.jpeg
It was a challenge getting all those sticks in my Lang, but I managed. The weather was brutal, extreme winds and cold made maintaining low temps difficult. While I was able to pull it off, I simply could not open the pit and rotate the sticks. Lost too much temp, so I just kept it shut the whole 4.5 hours. I used pitmasters choice for smoke. I cooked at 125 for one hour, 140 for one hour, 155 for two hours and the last 30 mins at 175. Then they went into an ice water bath, then in paper bags in the fridge overnight.
EB490D64-A3F8-40C6-A023-2504BD8F74F4.jpeg
2FD9B0D1-687F-4233-8802-71637E9DAF8D.jpeg
E0AFCB23-2746-4A2F-8B26-C42CE952273D.jpeg
Man, these little devils are good. Snack sticks are a challenge, but boy the end result is spectacular. A good way to use venison too!!

That's a whole lot of snack sticks. They look great.

Point for sure.
Chris

Oh my goodness they look superb! I've tried this before and know how much time it takes. But in the end it's worth it.
Point for sure! Send me a baggie here in Va! Lol

Reactions: 73saint
That's a whole lot of snack sticks. They look great.

Point for sure.
Chris
Thanks Chris!
Y.U.M.!!!!
Thanks inda!
Oh my goodness they look superb! I've tried this before and know how much time it takes. But in the end it's worth it.
Point for sure! Send me a baggie here in Va! Lol
Thanks JC...they sure came out good!
Man. That looks great! Point to you.
Thanks Steve!
WOW ,,, nice work .
Thank you Chop!
Looks great I only see one thing wrong here :emoji_disappointed: you didn't send me any to be the sampler for you. :emoji_laughing:

Warren
Thanks Warren...next batch!
73S, They look excellent !!!!!!
Thanks moon!
Awesome man!
Preciate it hawg!
Tasty lookin bunch of sticks!
Thank u sir!
I was wondering where ya been.. Snack sticks look awesome
Thanks meat!

Hey Saint, how was the willies seasoning? I tried the snack stick seasoning from ac legs ... it was good but way too salty for me. The best one ive found so far is the backwoods. Seasoning. I just wish i could figure out their ingredients and then reduce the salt. Lol

Hey Saint, how was the willies seasoning? I tried the snack stick seasoning from ac legs ... it was good but way too salty for me. The best one ive found so far is the backwoods. Seasoning. I just wish i could figure out their ingredients and then reduce the salt. Lol
Honestly I think I prefer the LEM snack stick seasoning. It was good don’t get me wrong. But the LEM, maybe it was beginners luck but I liked them slightly more.

I just realized lem and backwoods are the same. I really liked it think I’ll do that again next time.

Reactions: DaveyCrockett
Do the casings come in the LEM snack stick kit? If not what kind of casings are you using? I’m just getting into sausage smoking but man i really like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky