Jake's Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry fellas. Me, Emily and my younger brother have been down with covid the last 2 weeks.

Isn't that round two for you guy Jake? Glad to hear your on the mend.

Chris

Isn't that round two for you guy Jake? Glad to hear your on the mend.

Chris
No sir. My wife is a school teacher and we were tested and quarantined like 6x throughout the last school year due to exposure but always tested negative. My brother in law had it back before Christmas and was in ICU. Thanks for the well wishes Chris

I am poor but i like hijacking lol i put this in The Tn forum so the local peeps could talk a bit, I never stay on topic and have derailed more threads than I care to admit, never meant any harm on any of them , glad jake and family are doing better.

It's not just Tennesseans that need a good baked bean recipe! And everyone everywhere likes a little variety.
I can vouch for pineapple but will be trying peaches soon...there must be a reason peach cobbler is served at so many bbq joints! And a little prune juice (not enough to be noticeable) has long been my secret ingredient for bbq sauces and beans.
But Jake's never steered me wrong so I'll have to try some berries too. Lot of strawberries around now (wife just made a pie!) but they're not cheap in my neck of the woods this year.

Thanks for a good thread Mike243!

And Myron Mixon has a good peach bb recipe too !

I have a 2006 forum post from KeriC (who makes Hog Apple Beans using apple pie filling) and she references Jack's Old South making a similar recipe to hers using peaches. I wonder if the pH of fruits (most being acidic) is responsible for fruits being a popular ingredient in things like beans and sauces? I have noticed a lot of Ocean Spray juices at competitors camps. Some might be for drinks.... but you never know. I like cranberry/pineapple or cranberry/mango on occasion to cut sauces like Blues Hog. Here is a list with pH values.

1. Lemon Juice (2.00 – 2.60)
  2. Limes (2.00 – 2.80)
  3. Cranberry Juice (2.30 – 2.52)
  4. Blue Plums (2.80 – 3.40)
  5. Grapes (2.90 – 3.82)
  6. Pomegranates (2.93 – 3.20)
  7. Grapefruits (3.00 – 3.75)
  8. Blueberries (3.12 – 3.33)
  9. Pineapples (3.20 – 4.00)
  10. Apples (3.33 – 4.00)
  11. Peaches (3.30 – 4.05)
  12. Mangos (3.40 – 4.80)
  13. Oranges (3.69 – 4.34)

Reactions: bill1
I have a 2006 forum post from KeriC (who makes Hog Apple Beans using apple pie filling) and she references Jack's Old South making a similar recipe to hers using peaches. I wonder if the pH of fruits (most being acidic) is responsible for fruits being a popular ingredient in things like beans and sauces? I have noticed a lot of Ocean Spray juices at competitors camps. Some might be for drinks.... but you never know. I like cranberry/pineapple or cranberry/mango on occasion to cut sauces like Blues Hog. Here is a list with pH values.

1. Lemon Juice (2.00 – 2.60)
  2. Limes (2.00 – 2.80)
  3. Cranberry Juice (2.30 – 2.52)
  4. Blue Plums (2.80 – 3.40)
  5. Grapes (2.90 – 3.82)
  6. Pomegranates (2.93 – 3.20)
  7. Grapefruits (3.00 – 3.75)
  8. Blueberries (3.12 – 3.33)
  9. Pineapples (3.20 – 4.00)
  10. Apples (3.33 – 4.00)
  11. Peaches (3.30 – 4.05)
  12. Mangos (3.40 – 4.80)
  13. Oranges (3.69 – 4.34)
I use the Diet Ocean spray juices for various marinades and sauces. Love the cran pineapple and cran mango. Love drinking them too

I use the Diet Ocean spray juices for various marinades and sauces. Love the cran pineapple and cran mango. Love drinking them too

I live on those two selections from OS, have for a few years now Jeff. Once you get used to them, which doesn't take long, the stuff with loads of sugar and calories becomes just about undrinkable. RAY

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky