It's that time (St. Patricks day)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GATOR240

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 15, 2017
N.Western Pa.
I recently purchased a 14.75 lb. choice corned beef flat w/point. Being that our weeknights are hectic, the wife decided to have this today. Being that I had enough to do today and she needed to go into work to get caught up, the brisket was put into the roaster this morning. Also on the menu was Colcannon an Irish version of mashed potatoes.

The corned beef brisket (forgot to take a before picture) :

20200315_173132.jpg

And now the Colcannon:
- Fry the bacon and remove from the pan

20200315_141410.jpg

Add onion and shredded cabbage to the bacon grease. Note: The plate with the bacon and paper towel was placed on the stove for picture purposes only and was promptly removed from the stove.

20200315_141632.jpg

Saute the onions and cabbage w/peeled carrots until browned and add the bacon.
20200315_164416.jpg

Add to the potatoes and mash -
20200315_165138.jpg

Attachments

• 20200315_164416.jpg
    20200315_164416.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Very nice. Looking forward to CB and Cabbage...JJ

Making me hungry. I took a corned beef flat out of the freezer yesterday and will make a loaf of soda bread today. Grocery had cabbage for 29 cents/lb Saturday (regular $1.29) so I bought six heads (about 16 pounds worth). One for St Pat's day and the rest for a big batch of kraut. Nobody seemed to be hoarding cabbage.

A corned beef is a corned beef, turn 'em all upside down and I can't tell the difference, all about the same. Those taters on the other hand, WOW! That's got to be about the most creative done to a batch of mashed taters that I've ever seen, huge Like, I'll be copy-catting on that! RAY

I've never done potatoes like that. That will be a problem with my past and not of my future I'm guessing!
fivetricks fivetricks They are addicting, and they make for excellent potato cakes.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj Thank you JJ. I just got to thinking that I haven't had a big wedge of cabbage with butter and caraway seeds in several years - going to need to fix that.

Sweet! Two thumbs up.
G
RiversideSm0ker RiversideSm0ker Thanks RS for the two thumbs up and the point. I'm really looking forward to some corned beef sammies with yellow mustard.

Now that's a great looking meal !!
jaxgatorz jaxgatorz Thanks Jax. One of my all time favorites. Thanks for the like.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Definitely a fantastic looking meal!
Al
SmokinAl SmokinAl Thank you Al!

Making me hungry. I took a corned beef flat out of the freezer yesterday and will make a loaf of soda bread today. Grocery had cabbage for 29 cents/lb Saturday (regular $1.29) so I bought six heads (about 16 pounds worth). One for St Pat's day and the rest for a big batch of kraut. Nobody seemed to be hoarding cabbage.
Braz Braz If I would have been thinking I would have liked to try Disco's Boxty Bread. I also would like to give the soda bread a try sometime. Have fun with the kraut. We didn't need to make any this year because we didn't go thru it like we usually do. I'm guessing the only people that hoard the cabbage are the ones that hoard the TP.

A corned beef is a corned beef, turn 'em all upside down and I can't tell the difference, all about the same. Those taters on the other hand, WOW! That's got to be about the most creative done to a batch of mashed taters that I've ever seen, huge Like, I'll be copy-catting on that! RAY
sawhorseray sawhorseray Thanks Ray. The taters have been a favorite of mine for a while now. I just heated up a plate of them for supper tonight along with a corned beef sammie with yellow mustard. Thanks for the likes.

Nice looking meal. My wife puts those taters on top of shepherd's pie. They are delicious
TNJAKE TNJAKE Thanks Jake. That on top of shepards pie sounds really good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky