It's getting bad - Charcoal Lump Pellet hoarders.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Since I started using my mini-wsm's way back when and now that I primarily use my 14.5" WSM I haven't stocked piled charcoal for years. I buy two bags, use them buy two more. Damn WSM's are just too efficient to have to stockpile 100 bags of charcoal.

Down to 1/2 a bag so thought on my next trip out I'd buy some more. Nope, not happening. No briquettes, no lump, no pellets. Nothing, all gone. Good thing I have a propane grill I guess.

Wonder how the propane supply is?
I just checked mine the other day, still got 4 20 lb bags of bricks.

That's pretty sad. Why am I not surprised though. This may be an anemic gesture on my part but I have a pretty good sized tub of oak lump charcoal that I see no need for now that I have the Rec Tec. I'll happily put it in a box and send it your way if you want. I also have a pot load of pellets if you need some of those also. Don't know if you use them or were just making a reference to things that are gone. Just send a PM with your address and I'll get whatever you need/want off in the mail.

Robert

That's pretty sad. Why am I not surprised though. This may be an anemic gesture on my part but I have a pretty good sized tub of oak lump charcoal that I see no need for now that I have the Rec Tec. I'll happily put it in a box and send it your way if you want. I also have a pot load of pellets if you need some of those also. Don't know if you use them or were just making a reference to things that are gone. Just send a PM with your address and I'll get whatever you need/want off in the mail.

Robert

Thanks for the offer but I will survive. I'm sure that there will be more at some point. Until then I'll hoard my half bag (that's at least four short cooks on the wsm). and use propane. There's plenty of propane. If I want smoke I'll throw the tube smoker in there. I have plenty of pellets.

I was just cruzin' Costco on the web... Looking for freeze dried dog treats...
Checked out the dog food section... About 1/2 of their dog foods are sold out and the ones that aren't are 1 bag per customer.... WHAT ????? ....
So I had to order a 40# bag so my dog doesn't run out of food... I have 40#'s here now.... No tellin' how long this hoarding BS is going to last or WHERE it will pop up next...

Wonder how the propane supply is?
I just checked mine the other day, still got 4 20 lb bags of bricks.

All of our gas stations that sell propane have propane. Gas too. Price of fuel here is the lowest its been in more than 15 years. Unleaded is $2.89/gallon (aberage of stations around town).

I was just cruzin' Costco on the web... Looking for freeze dried dog treats...
Checked out the dog food section... About 1/2 of their dog foods are sold out and the ones that aren't are 1 bag per customer.... WHAT ????? ....
So I had to order a 40# bag so my dog doesn't run out of food... I have 40#'s here now.... No tellin' how long this hoarding BS is going to last or WHERE it will pop up next...

Yeah its nuts. We are good on dog food for now. Fortunately what we feed our dogs is in stock at multiple locations locally.

Flour, yeast, tp, dried pasta,beans, chacoal, all cleaning products gone. Stores have said their suppliers have all of this, they just cant get the shipments as all the trucks are back logged.

I was just cruzin' Costco on the web..

Interesting you should mention this. We were looking online yesterday to see what our Costco's new hours were. Just for shits and grins (no pun intended) Tracy looked to see it toilet paper was available to order. They had a disclaimer "this product is not eligible for return". Really? Would somebody actually use the TP, find out they don't like it, and try to take it back after it's been used? You have to be kidding me.

Gas too. Price of fuel here is the lowest its been in more than 15 years. Unleaded is $2.89/gallon

Wow. Gas has not been that high here for ages. I just passed a new Quick Trip this morning on the way into town and regular unleaded was $1.47 a gallon. Diesel is less than you are paying for unleaded. It's down about $2 a gallon.

Robert

I just picked up 2 bags of Kingsford at Lowes last week and they had quite a bit. So did Home Depot. Pretty soon they should have pallets in the aisles like usual. 2 bags lasts me a while. I only use it in the kettle and to start a wood fire in the offset. My issue is wood. I usually get the sticks at HD but they were out of hickory and had one bag of mesquite, which I like for brisket but that's all. Plenty of "chunks" and chips. Lowes had 1 bag of hickory which is good for about 2 smokes. Hopefully it's just too early in the season for them to stock up. I slice up firewood to get oak, but I have to buy hickory.
I'm afraid I won't be too proud to do a little hoarding myself if I see hickory...
I didn't even look for pellets so I don't know what they had, but pellet smokers seem to be pretty popular now and I foresee a shortage. That's one reason I haven't seriously considered one.

Give the local liquor store a look see for some charcoal . Most around here sell it .
Co-op for propane if you have one . Also pet food in a pinch .
A lot less foot traffic in those places right now .

Yeah its nuts. We are good on dog food for now. Fortunately what we feed our dogs is in stock at multiple locations locally.

Flour, yeast, tp, dried pasta,beans, chacoal, all cleaning products gone. Stores have said their suppliers have all of this, they just cant get the shipments as all the trucks are back logged.
Part of the reason trucks are backlogged is because drivers are being treated like second class citizens now. Rest stops closing the facilities and putting out porta potties. Truck stop restaurants are closed (of course the restrooms are inside). Only the pumps are open. Some of their delivery points won't let them use their restrooms, and of course an 18 wheeler won't fit through a drive through.
Many owner-operators are just staying home. Kind of ironic since they spend most of their time by themselves....

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Give the local liquor store a look see for some charcoal . Most around here sell it .
Co-op for propane if you have one . Also pet food in a pinch .
A lot less foot traffic in those places right now .

Ours only sell, booze, wine, beer, mixers, various cups and shot glasses.

Which they have been well stocked. During the first week they were low or out of cheap vodka because someone posted a DYI sanitizer online using vodka. Note Vodka isn't high enough proof to kill COVID. Everclear on the other hand will.

I found the dog food shortage a couple weeks ago. ran low, looked on petco for local availability and had to drive to the store across town. the one close by was out. then ordered some online and it was delayed a week....

I have about 80lb of pellets...might look for another bag.

I just picked up 2 bags of Kingsford at Lowes last week and they had quite a bit. So did Home Depot. Pretty soon they should have pallets in the aisles like usual. 2 bags lasts me a while. I only use it in the kettle and to start a wood fire in the offset. My issue is wood. I usually get the sticks at HD but they were out of hickory and had one bag of mesquite, which I like for brisket but that's all. Plenty of "chunks" and chips. Lowes had 1 bag of hickory which is good for about 2 smokes. Hopefully it's just too early in the season for them to stock up. I slice up firewood to get oak, but I have to buy hickory.
I'm afraid I won't be too proud to do a little hoarding myself if I see hickory...
I didn't even look for pellets so I don't know what they had, but pellet smokers seem to be pretty popular now and I foresee a shortage. That's one reason I haven't seriously considered one.

Yeah our Lowes and HD are out. As is ACE and the farm supplies that carry it. Sportsmans warehouse probably has a good supply, because they are closed!

UGH! I just ordered a couple more bags of pellets...I cant hoard meat as i have no chest freezer.

Wow. Gas has not been that high here for ages. I just passed a new Quick Trip this morning on the way into town and regular unleaded was $1.47 a gallon. Diesel is less than you are paying for unleaded. It's down about $2 a gallon.

Robert

Yeah welcome to the PNW. hasn't been below $2.00/gallon here since the early 90's.

Interesting you should mention this. We were looking online yesterday to see what our Costco's new hours were. Just for shits and grins (no pun intended) Tracy looked to see it toilet paper was available to order. They had a disclaimer "this product is not eligible for return". Really? Would somebody actually use the TP, find out they don't like it, and try to take it back after it's been used? You have to be kidding me.

Robert
Yes Costco is doing the no return on paper products to stop the hoarders from buying it all up then returning it after the epidemic slows down...I agree with this move. Maybe a few will stop and think that they will be stuck with 10 years worth of TP.

Part of the reason trucks are backlogged is because drivers are being treated like second class citizens now. Rest stops closing the facilities and putting out porta potties. Truck stop restaurants are closed (of course the restrooms are inside). Only the pumps are open. Some of their delivery points won't let them use their restrooms, and of course an 18 wheeler won't fit through a drive through.
Many owner-operators are just staying home. Kind of ironic since they spend most of their time by themselves....
Have seen a few posts on FB where small town hotels are advertised that they are encouraging truckers to stop in at their establishments for a shower and a hot meal to go. One was advertising $25 for a shower and a meal, email transfer so no contact between driver and hotel staff. Without truckers we will all be up a creek with no paddle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky