It's COLD here in South Carolina, time for some vegetable soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
This morning we were supposed to get freezing rain/snow turning to rain later. We get very little of this kind of weather and aren't really prepared for it so it's the perfect time to make some vegetable soup and cornbread. With pretty much everything shutdown today, because that's what we do when the forecast is like it was, today's the day...

The lineup...
20220116_084121.jpg

I had the bone left from a double smoked ham that I cooked around Thanksgiving. Into a pot, covered with water, and brought to a boil for a couple of hours...
20220116_084150.jpg

Picked the meat off the bone and added the rest of the vegetables. Allowed to simmer until all was tender...
20220116_151608.jpg

Next the cornbread, or corn cake as I call it. Couple of boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix, a can of cream corn, some chopped up
jalapenos, 2 eggs, and enough milk to get the consistency I was looking for...
20220116_151733.jpg

Into a cast iron skillet greased up with some unsalted butter and into a 400℉ oven for about 25 minutes or until it gets brown like we like it...
20220116_174233.jpg

Bowl of soup and some corn cake with butter. Time to eat...
20220116_175150.jpg

Other than maybe some chili, I can't think of much that's as good or warms me up like homemade vegetable soup. We did have some freezing rain, but by noon it was just rain...

Looks delicious and comforting!

My wife and I are big soup eaters during the winter. It’s just easier not having to figure out dinners for a few days.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nice looking soup! Now that I think about it...it's been a long time since I've had some!

Ryan

Nothing like a big bowl of good looking soup and cornbread to chase away the chill. Yours looks great!
Jim

I'm hungry, that looks so good. I need a fix.
Thank you, there was plenty leftover, you're welcome to come get some...
Perfect meal for a cold rainy day!
Looks delicious, Charles!
Al
Thank you, Al. It was just a dreary day yesterday. Perfect soup day...
Man does that look good.
Would be nice to have some of that later today after plowing on the quad for hours.
Drive the quad over, I'll have you a nice, hot bowl waiting...
Looks delicious and comforting!

My wife and I are big soup eaters during the winter. It’s just easier not having to figure out dinners for a few days.
Ray, we are soup eaters, too. I like cream based soup, but the wife prefers broth based soups. Thank you for your kind words...
Nice looking soup! Now that I think about it...it's been a long time since I've had some!

Ryan
Thank you, Ryan, it's much appreciated...
Nothing like a big bowl of good looking soup and cornbread to chase away the chill. Yours looks great!
Jim
Thank you, Jim. It was the perfect meal on such a nasty day...
Man that looks incredible! Mmmm! Haha! Mega props for including ham in your “veggie” soup! Great job!
View attachment 522569
Yeah Jed, I guess it wasn't truly veggie soup, but this isn't a vegetarian website so what good would anything be without some meat? 🤣 Or smoked meat? 🤣🤣Thank you for you compliments, they are appreciated...
Great Stuff, Charles!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks, Bear...
I could sit down to a couple bowls of that and a couple pieces of your corn cake

Nice , on a cold stupid day like today here

David
Yes David, the soup hit the spot and the usual crowd that's always here, really liked it. I call it corn cake because it's sweet tasting, not like my favorite cornbread that I grew up with which is made with cracklins and is more savory...

Looks delicious! I could really go for a bowl or two right about now. I never thought about using a ham bone for vegetable soup. My granny always made her vegetable soup stock with bone in beef short ribs, so that's the way I have always done it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks delicious! I could really go for a bowl or two right about now. I never thought about using a ham bone for vegetable soup. My granny always made her vegetable soup stock with bone in beef short ribs, so that's the way I have always done it.
Thank you, Doug! I also make a beef based vegetable soup with whatever beef ribs I have on hand, but I wanted to get that ham bone out of my freezer.

My kind of winter meal for sure! We got 5” of snow today. 45 minutes away my friends and coworkers got 12”. That’s the perfect meal for this weather after shoveling or walking the dogs through the drifts haha. Threw the dog on in there as I’m headed out to do that in this crap now lol.

Smoke you almost had me going when you made corn cake. I, too, prefer no sugar cornbread and would love to have a pan of cracklin' cornbread but I haven't seen a package of cracklin's around me in years. :emoji_disappointed:

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Now now that's a hearty meal that'll keep ya warm all day ! Looks great and I'd forgotten about crackling cornbread. YUM YUM

Keith

Smoke you almost had me going when you made corn cake. I, too, prefer no sugar cornbread and would love to have a pan of cracklin' cornbread but I haven't seen a package of cracklin's around me in years. :emoji_disappointed:
Thanks, Joe. That Jiffy mix is sweet straight out of the box, but the grandkids love it. I can sometimes find cracklins at a small local grocer and I'll buy them to put in the freezer, but they can be hard to find...
Now now that's a hearty meal that'll keep ya warm all day ! Looks great and I'd forgotten about crackling cornbread. YUM YUM

Keith
Thank you, Keith. I grew up eating cracklin cornbread made with our own cracklins when we butchered hogs. Lots of good memories around all of that...

Reactions: 912smoker
By the way, the forecast is for maybe an inch of snow here this Friday. Time to buy some milk and bread... 🤣 🤣

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky