italian chicken sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grimreeper

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Moosomin, SK
Hello all I had some time to kill and 7 lbs of ground chicken, so I made some italian sausages. Here are some photos. and another they were poached and brought up to an it of 152. I never got any pictures of them cooked. Cause I had kids and wife that kept taking and eating them as I was removing the plastic casings. Tell me what you all think.

grim, those look really nice. just ruined a the keyboard drooling all over it. 
biggrin.gif
 You use a spice pack or mix up your own? Thanks, now i'm going to have to make some sausage this evening. Last 2 weeks its been bulk chicken/italian for wife's pizzas. 

mule, you got a recipe for a good pickling solution for sausages?

grim, those look really nice. just ruined a the keyboard drooling all over it. 
biggrin.gif
 You use a spice pack or mix up your own? Thanks, now i'm going to have to make some sausage this evening. Last 2 weeks its been bulk chicken/italian for wife's pizzas.

mule, you got a recipe for a good pickling solution for sausages?
 Boil 2 dozen eggs, shell and cool OR boil 2 dozen gizzards (turkey) until done and cool. OR 2LB fully cooked sausage (kilbasa) OR okra

Cook: 4 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. sugar
1 c. water to dissolve sugar and salt

Add this to: 4 c. white vinegar
1 lg. onion, sliced
2 tbsp. pickling spices, tied in a bag
1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tbsp pepper flakes ( or to taste)

Add eggs, or gizzards, or sausage, or okra, to the brine and refrigerate at least 24 hours. Leave spices tied in bag in brine for a couple days, then remove.

Happy smoken.

David

That sounds good, I will give that recipe a try.

I'm curious, why did you spend the time tying them instead of linking? Is your casing prone to spin and not hold the link?

They are plastic casings, and I found when I have them in the water poaching they slowly un twist and then they ballon up. I will post the recipe shortly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky