Italian Chicken and Basil Sausage with Sundried Tomatoes and Asiago Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Saw this one on 2 Guys and a Cooler Celebrate Sausage Series 2021:

I had a little Asiago on hand, had some garden sun dried tomatoes I needed to use up, and with winter coming my basil plant is about to die. Didn't hurt that there was a sale on chicken leg quarters for $0.37/#....

So last night I made this. And WOW! Let me tell you...flavor explosion! Rocket ship to a flavor universe! Incredible recipe!
IMG_20211029_023204325.jpg

IMG_20211029_023216494.jpg

*note- I did not have High heat NFDM powder on hand. I used low heat NFDM and added 3 whole eggs to 3 kg. of meat paste to help with the bind. I also added STPP @ 0.25%

I made 3kg. of sausages..

Last edited:
I had ground Hot Calabrian pepper on hand so I also used it in the sausage....really good. I highly recommend making this sausage.

Sausage making isn't in my skill level yet.. but stuff like this always amazes me!
Making fresh sausage is like mixing up hamburger meat. Entry level and not that difficult. Just need to have the meat and fat 30-32*F before you grind it. And you have to mix salt in until meat paste is very tacky. Can case or not. Get a good cut on the meat and fat and you are good to go.

Reactions: kilo charlie
I had ground Hot Calabrian pepper on hand so I also used it in the sausage....really good. I highly recommend making this sausage.
Sausage look great!! I bought 2 cases of ground Calabrian peppers in oil for $1 a jar. My buddy bought lost out it. He eats them on everything. They are pretty hot!

Reactions: indaswamp
Congratulations on the Feature!

One of these days I'll get around to it.. so many things on the list to try!

Reactions: indaswamp
Sausage look great!! I bought 2 cases of ground Calabrian peppers in oil for $1 a jar. My buddy bought lost out it. He eats them on everything. They are pretty hot!
Thanks jcam222! Heat on the Calabrian is about the same as cayenne...but the calabrian are more floral and sweet. They go great in this sausage,

Reactions: jcam222
Another note- you gotta use the chicken skin along with the fat in this recipe. The chicken skin has a lot of collagen and you need that collagen for a good bind.

Congratulations on the Feature!

One of these days I'll get around to it.. so many things on the list to try!
Thanks kilo!
You don't even need a grinder for your first batch...you can use store bought ground meat for your first fresh sausage. Not recommended for smoke sausages or dried sausages, but will work perfectly fine for fresh sausages.

Awesome job!
Thansk yankee!

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky