ISO reference book on mixing spices,cures and brines.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know of any all encompassing book for all the things that you desire.

What I have done is take all the recipes I like and print them out and make my own book.

I might like 1 out of 100 from one person and 12 from someone else.. This allows me to keep track of the things I am interested in, have tested and know I like, and things that are on the to do list.

No sense in buying a book if you only use 3 recipes out of it right?

Scour this website and you'll find a tremendous amount of information on various things on your list, but this is not the only resource on the internet.

Reactions: PPG1
Can you elaborate some as to your requirements and goals?

I don't know of an ISO reference for this stuff. This book however will likely chek all your boxes:

Marianski - ISBN 0982426739

Additionally, the USDA has a wealth of information online.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate some as to your requirements and goals?

I don't know of an ISO reference for this stuff. This book however will likely chek all your boxes:

My quest is to find a recipe for Hawaiian snack sticks. Everything I’ve read so far is that pineapple screws up the protein in beef and pork turns into goo. So I am searching for some type of pineapple powder that I can use for flavoring that does not break down the proteins and beef and pork. Let me know if you ever heard of such a thing

I've not heard of such a thing.
Some thoughts though:
The culprit in the pineapple is bromelain.
The enzyme will denture at 68°C; so you could try to cook the pineapple prior to use.

Pineapple powders are usually sold as a source of bromelain, which is the opposite of what you're looking for.

I'd be interested in trying the following experiment:
Get freeze dried pineapple
Vacuum seal
Sous vide at 68°C
Pulverize
That should result in bromelain-free pineapple powder.

Reactions: indaswamp
...I don't know of an ISO reference for this stuff. This book however will likely chek all your boxes:

Fooled me too, but I think he means "in search of" and not Intl Standards Org. I came looking for a link to an ISO pdf as well!
The Marianski ref looks pretty good, thanks!

This Pineapple sausage was heavily discussed and tested and indaswamp indaswamp is still around for further detail...JJ

I too thought this was a search for a reference book when I saw the ISO....oops...
but those two books I posted are very good for formulations, the first one is old school....

I've not heard of such a thing.
Some thoughts though:
The culprit in the pineapple is bromelain.
The enzyme will denture at 68°C; so you could try to cook the pineapple prior to use.

Pineapple powders are usually sold as a source of bromelain, which is the opposite of what you're looking for.

I'd be interested in trying the following experiment:
Get freeze dried pineapple
Vacuum seal
Sous vide at 68°C
Pulverize
That should result in bromelain-free pineapple powder.
Yep. Gotta use cooked pineapple....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky