ISO French Onion Soup Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
Wife and I rally love some good French Onion soup. Haven't found a recipe for home made that was any good really. Anyone have any ideas to share? Could be dutch overn, instant pot, crockpot, etc. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Jarod I am sorry I do not have a post on this but here is my recipe if you can understand it.
Onion Soup

3-5 medium onions ( Caramelized )
2 tbs butter
splash olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
pinch of thyme
splash worshire sauce
2 tbs sherry
3 tbs flour ( add to the Bones while roasting )
splash of gravy master

2 Quarts beef stock
Beef Stock Recipe below

Beef stock 3 to 5 beef bones roasted with some diced cellery
and 2 cloves of garlic,drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 1 hr
turn them over after 30 minutes.Bring to top of stove add 2quarts
water,plus a few bullion cubes.
The cheese for the top is up to you
Richie

My son does one that's pretty good . He does it in oven safe crocks for each person . I'll have to ask him .

Reactions: jmusser
lFamous-Barr's-French-Onion-Soup122748046.jpg

This is a legendary soup around the area, that is still carried on by countless restaurants. It's that good. Simple, and good.

This isn't really a French Onion soup but it is really good and we both love it. Sort of a twist on things.

1 large sweet onion chopped
1 lb smoked beef
¼ pound of butter
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ T Beef bouillon
2 t Black pepper
1 t Garlic powder
½ t Anise
½ t salt

Saute onion in butter on medium heat till translucent
Add beef if not already cooked and brown on all sides
Add broth and all spices. Simmer on low approximately 30 minutes till onion is soft and flavors have melded.
Put soup in bowl and add toasted, buttered, garlic bread
Top with any good melting cheese and put under broiler till cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Eat with caution. It will be hot!!

Robert

You guys are awesome! Thank you all for the recipes!

And here I was just recently asking the wife if she had any FOS recipes. Thanks all for the contributions.

I'll be making FOS here, this week. We REALLY LOVE IT. This is a recipe I have made some 30 years now. And YES you can divide in Half...JJ😊

JJ's French Onion Soup

10 Pounds Sweet Onions, French Cut, root to stem.
2 Stick Butter
1 Cup AP Flour
2 Boxes 12Cups, Beef Broth
2 Boxes, 12 Cups Chicken Broth
1 small pack Fresh Thyme, tied. About 16 sprigs.
1 teaspoon Fresh Grated Nutmeg
2 each large Bay leaves
2 Tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet
1/4 Cup Sherry, optional.
S & P to taste
CHEF'S secret...2 Tablespoons Maggi Liquid Seasoning...Don't tell.😉

Caramelize the Onions in Butter, over medium heat, stirring frequently. Do Not use a Non-stick pan!
As a Brown Fonde forms in the pan, add 1/2 Cup Broth to deglaze. Continue cooking, developing Fonde and deglazing until Onions are a Milk Chocolate Brown and Broth is evaporated. Takes about 45 minutes.
Add the 1 Cup of Flour an stir well to make a Roux..
Deglaze once more, 2 Cups Broth and add Onions and remaining ingredients to a 12 Quart Stock Pot.
Bring to a Boil, Reduce to Simmer and cook 1 hour.
Add S & P to taste.

Make Up...

Assemble 16oz Crocks or Heat Proof Bowls.
Slice a French Baguette into 1 1/2" Slices and Toast until golden, Butter if desired.
Slice 1 Pound packages of Mozzarella Cheese into 1/4 -3/8" Slabs across the face. Around 3-4 ounces each (Yes we like A LOT of Cheese!😆).
Equally Thick slices of Gruyere, Monterey Jack, Swiss or Provolone all work or Coarse Grate the Cheeses and Blend different types.
Fill Crocks to 1/2" below the rim, about 14 ounces. Top with 1-2 Slices of Bread an cover with 4 ounces of Cheese.
Broil until Cheese is Melted and Browned, Serve on small plates.
Makes about 16 servings...Freezes well!

My wife has been making Martha Stewart's recipe for a long time. Starts with bacon!🥓🐖

RG

Thank you very much all! We always order this when we are out and the wife was looking for a recipe. I simply explained that the silly BBQ site will come through. As predicted, my friends as SMF came through! Appreciate all the help all!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
You are Welcome. It's pretty rare for a member to ask for a Recipe and Nobody has ever heard of it...JJ

For one, use regular old, small Yellow Storage Onions. They have less sugar than Sweet Onions.
Not Caramelizing too heavily, peanut butter colored rather than milk chocolate brown. Lastly, adding some Acid as in Vinegar. Sherry Vinegar or Malt Vinegar, added to taste, would balance the sweetness...JJ

Reactions: jmusser and schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky