Is Weber the better brand?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobariel

Original poster
Jun 28, 2021
I am new here so hello to everyone. Currently I am interested in getting a gas grill and have seen many options and brands. Apparently Weber is very popular but I have seen other brands like Monument and Nextgrill that offer a lot more as far as grilling space at a lower price.

I been a big of older Webers. I got the E410 few years ago on Clearance. I mostly just use gas for steaks and like a good char. The E410 just does not get hot enough to sear. Fine for other things. I ended up dragging my very old Silver B back out and still using it. Need to just sell the 410 as I do not use. Their charcoal grills and smokers are great and last forever. This just my experience with newer model.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Home Depot has the Monument Grills with 6 burners for $596.99 vs the Weber's 3 burners for $1,029. Makes me wonder how good or bad the Monument brand is offering so much for less cash.

Welcome to the forums, happy to have ya join the fun. I quite using gas many moons ago(now strickly a charcoal guy - mostly for taste}, but I believe that the newer Webers aren't as well made as the the older ones. Since I don't have any first hand experience with the newer gas models I'm not going to say if Weber is going down hill, or if the other brands are catching up. Many folks on this site use Weber gassers as well as other brands. So you should experience information overload in a short time. Again welcome to the site.

Chris

Reactions: jacobariel
Welcome to the forums, happy to have ya join the fun. I quite using gas many moons ago(now strickly a charcoal guy - mostly for taste}, but I believe that the newer Webers aren't as well made as the the older ones. Since I don't have any first hand experience with the newer gas models I'm not going to say if Weber is going down hill, or if the other brands are catching up. Many folks on this site use Weber gassers as well as other brands. So you should experience information overload in a short time. Again welcome to the site.

Chris
Thank you! I have always been a charcoal guy and just recently been thinking on gas and perhaps pellets.

Last edited:
My Weber gasser is 10 or so years old. Have not had to replace grates/flavorizer bars etc. My cheaper Nextgrill's/ Home Depot types grills from the past I done those things every couple years. Weber customer service is top notch. Weber is more $, but they'll last longer and still be around in the future.

My Weber gasser is 10 or so years old. Have not had to replace grates/flavorizer bars etc. My cheaper Nextgrill's/ Home Depot types grills from the past I done those things every couple years. Weber customer service is top notch. Weber is more $, but they'll last longer and still be around in the future.
That's why I am questioning Monument brand and other brands because for one they offer more burners at a cheaper price then Weber.

Welcome to SMF!

Webers do cost more.. but in the long run they seem to last longer too.. the burners etc are meant to be replacement parts after years of use - they're also the only ones I have seen recently that have a cast base and lid all of the others I have seen are sheetmetal

Welcome to SMF from central Missouri.

As far as gas grills go, I do love my Weber Genesis II. I have used it for 4 or 5 years, about the time my other gas grills would have rusted out. The electric start and all parts still work flawlessly.

Welcome to SMF from central Missouri.

As far as gas grills go, I do love my Weber Genesis II. I have used it for 4 or 5 years, about the time my other gas grills would have rusted out. The electric start and all parts still work flawlessly.
I've been eyeballing the Genesis II S 335.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Welcome to the forum Jacob, glad you joined us.
Weber grills are very popular around here, especially the older ones. Comparatively speaking, I view Weber gas grills as middle of the road grills. There are more expensive, high end grills costing thousands and then there are the low cost grills you put to the curb after a few years. Weber's may not be as well made as they once were but what is now a days. But again, comparatively speaking, they are a better value than most of the lower cost big box offerings. Just my opinion and I will admit that I am a Weber fan boy, gas and charcoal.

Reactions: jacobariel
One more Weber fan, here. I can't speak to their gas grills, but there charcoal ones can't be beat. I sold my Silver to a guy who collects them. He says he's got some that were made in the 50's-60's that he still uses.
In the end, you get what you pay for.

Welcome aboard.

Well hell, I am probably not the right person to answer your question but I'll give you my input anyway. :emoji_laughing:
While it is true that Weber's quality has tappered off over the past few years, Weber still has a 10 year warranty. I've owned my EP-330 for 6-7 years now and have not had any problems. I haven't even had to change the ignitor battery yet!

Now, the brands you mentioned, they have more cooking real estate and maybe capable of producing 70,000+ BTUs, six burners, and have all the bells and whistles at a cheaper price.
But, a Weber will beat them hands down with nice and even heat distribution in the grill.
And here something to know about glass viewing windows in grills and smokers.
As any owner of a smoker with a door window will tell you, the novelty wears off after the third cook. Keeping that glass clean for subsequent cooks is a real PITA.

It really boils down to how many times a week you are going to use the grill and how you are going to use the grill. If you think you're going toss in a smoker box loaded with wood chips and do low and slow barbecuing, then guess again. It isn't impossible to do, but it does have challenges that most people aren't willing to deal with.
For safety reasons, newer gassers are designed for excessive air flow which is what creates those challenges.

That is a Weber Silver B in my avatar.
Through the 14 years that I owned that grill, I beat it like a rented mule.
What finally did it in was the left side support frame rusted out because I always left the grill out in the elements uncovered all of those years which was totally my fault.
But dang, that grill could do low and slow due to it's shallow firebox and slender rear vent that created the perfect air draw from front to back.

I also have a Weber Genesis 1000 that belonged to my father. It sits unused but covered.

So, you could get a $600 grill and replace it every 5 to 6 years.
Or you could buy a Weber for $1,000 or so and have it last 20 years or more when cared for properly.

Here is a thought. Check your local Craigslist for used Webers. This way, you're letting someone else pay the initiation fee. Just be sure to check them out in person and have the seller fire it up for you.

TL;DR version:
Buy a Weber. You'll be glad you did.

Final edit: I am trying to convince my wife that I absolutely now need a Weber 22 Performer.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of the cheaper grills could hold a candle to Weber. Weber still is about the best bang for your buck for a quality grill.

There are certainly better grills, but you will pay for them. Napoleon and Broil king are also pretty comparable, but the parts availability and aftermarket accessories are just better with Weber.

Reactions: Colin1230
I’ll throw my two cents in. I’m a charcoal guy at heart 100%, that’s why I was floored when my wife gave me a new Webber genesis for my birthday. I use it during the week and use my charcoal grill on the weekend. I’ll admit the gas is growing on me.
I still love the taste of charcoal, but gas is so quick!

I don’t think any of the cheaper grills could hold a candle to Weber. Weber still is about the best bang for your buck for a quality grill.

There are certainly better grills, but you will pay for them. Napoleon and Broil king are also pretty comparable, but the parts availability and aftermarket accessories are just better with Weber.
I looked up Napoleon Prestige line. They look nice with all stainless steel. Are Napoleons Prestige up there with the Genesis II line?

I’ll throw my two cents in. I’m a charcoal guy at heart 100%, that’s why I was floored when my wife gave me a new Webber genesis for my birthday. I use it during the week and use my charcoal grill on the weekend. I’ll admit the gas is growing on me.
I still love the taste of charcoal, but gas is so quick!

Yes, nothing is as simple as a gas grill. I too love charcoal, but without a doubt, the easiest cooking machine is gas. Turn on, let it warm up for 5 min or so. Cook and turn off. Clean up occasionally, but cleanup is simple on a Weber.

I've had a Weber "Q" since they came out in 2003. Never had a problem with it. Though I don't use it as my go to rig. Just for quick cooks. I prefer my smokey Joe. Or my performer.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky