Is this drum safe for a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MGarate94

Original poster
Jun 1, 2023
Hello, everyone,

I'm looking to build my first UDS, and got this drum today. It used to contain water based, wax based concrete curing compound and seems to have a lining or coat of paint inside. Is this safe to use? Has anyone used something like this or seen this lining/coat?

Attachments

• PXL_20230601_223612505.jpg
    PXL_20230601_223612505.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230601_223607117.jpg
    PXL_20230601_223607117.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 24
Hello, everyone,

I'm looking to build my first UDS, and got this drum today. It used to contain water based, wax based concrete curing compound and seems to have a lining or coat of paint inside. Is this safe to use? Has anyone used something like this or seen this lining/coat?
Personally, I would only use a drum that had been used for food containment. Or a brand new non coated drum.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I'll go against the grain and say just build a big fire in there. It'll burn the coating and anything else off down to the bare steel. Unless it contained radioactive material, everything else will burn out. Smokers have routinely been made from old oil thanks, propane tanks and the like.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'll go against the grain and say just build a big fire in there. It'll burn the coating and anything else off down to the bare steel. Unless it contained radioactive material, everything else will burn out. Smokers have routinely been made from old oil thanks, propane tanks and the like.
Yup, burn it out with a good fire.

Reactions: DougE
I agree with the burn it out and build method. Since the previous contents were not that toxic I do not see a problem using it.

20240209_164502.jpg

Hi! I take the barrels, they had bags of silicone in them. I remove the paint with chemicals for removal. Then I polish it with a metal brush machine. When the barrel is without paint, I light a basket of coal and cover the barrel with oil

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello, everyone,

I'd pass on that. Cleaning out the lining is a PITA and you would need to get it down to bare metal then burn the heck out of it.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky