Is this cured?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eh1bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Regina, SK, Canada
Have had this belly in Pops low salt brine for 14 days and my concern seems pretty obvious looking at this pictures. Thoughts, comments etc? Is this binnable at this point? Any info would help. I’d really appreciate any info you guys can provide.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 5C8593DE-DDF3-4052-A61E-9A0FCC741682.jpeg
    5C8593DE-DDF3-4052-A61E-9A0FCC741682.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 6B0CFD4E-9BD8-4B36-B0A0-F15503260597.jpeg
    6B0CFD4E-9BD8-4B36-B0A0-F15503260597.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 96
The salt and Cure in a brine, doesn't change the color a whole lot. The water can lighten the surface. Breed also makes a difference. Some breeds have darker meat than others...JJ

Thanks everybody. This is from a Berkshire/Tamworth cross so it would make sense then that the meat is darker. Thanks!

I'm glad you posted this my meat looks just like this its usually a paler color, so I was nervous. But looks it I should be alright. It's really red like yours.

Honestly I'd have posted too and I've cured 50 pounds of bacon in the last 2-3 months.

You know, that would be an interesting post for a more experienced member to do; on the breeds and what colour to expect!

Not hard really...Since the early 70's, commercial Hog production went from buying a variety of breeds from many small operations, breed depended on the farmers choice, what grew well in a given region of the country and available quantity sold at a good price, to a single breed. This new breed, the white Yorkshire, was developed to grow well in a few large feed lots, grow fast, hit market weight in 16 weeks rather than 24 to 32 weeks and the hogs are longer and much leaner. They were also bred to have meat that is so pale they could be marketed as " The Other White Meat. " The result, any national brand pork sold at the Grocery store will be pale and low in fat with no marbling or flavor. If you were born in/after the 70's in a city or greater Suburbia, you likely have not tasted the pork your parents and grandparents ate. Pork of any breed but the Yorkshire, sold off the farm or small butcher shops handling local pork, will be dark in color and have a rich porky flavor, some with marbling resembling prime beef...JJ

Reactions: eh1bbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky