Is this buckboard bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CZN

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
These pieces circled in red look like the fatty bacon I was expecting, but everything else looks a lot more lean. Are the other pieces shoulder bacon or just from a lean part of the belly? I really have no idea! Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-085803~2_copy_727x335.png
    Screenshot_20240216-085803~2_copy_727x335.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: JLeonard
I agree with indaswamp indaswamp , we make a lot of BBB, and it looks just like the lean pieces in your photo. But I also have seen some weird looking bellies, although you would think that if they were selling cheap bellies they would be all fat, and real thin. Have you cooked any up to see if there is a different flavor between the two different pieces?
Al

Reactions: CZN
I agree with indaswamp indaswamp , we make a lot of BBB, and it looks just like the lean pieces in your photo. But I also have seen some weird looking bellies, although you would think that if they were selling cheap bellies they would be all fat, and real thin. Have you cooked any up to see if there is a different flavor between the two different pieces?
Al

Thanks for the input, Al. Unfortunately I haven't cooked them up side by side for a taste test as I just open a pack at a time to cook for my sandwich shop. I asked the company we get them from and was told that they are indeed bellies. However, this is 'the same bacon' from the same company, opened and cooked a day later, and it's much fattier. Could be weird bellies or maybe not a belly at all.. Oh well, soon enough I'll be making my own for the shop and will be able to choose the ones I want to cure. Cheers for your reply:)

Attachments

• 208743.jpg
    208743.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 14
Definitely looks like bacon made from shoulder. My Uncle sent me a pick of some Smithfield bacon recently and I immediately noticed that it did not look like belly bacon because it was way too lean. It was super cheap too...
I asked the distributor and he assured me that it's belly but who knows! I'll be making my own soon enough so won't have to deal with these random lean packs anymore. Cheers, indaswamp indaswamp .

Reactions: indaswamp
The bellies I get from my butcher shop you can see very distinct lines on one side where the ribs used to be. Some bellies are much meatier in that area.
IMAG0167_upscale.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky