Is this barrel ok to use??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigred150

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I got a 55 that had hydraulic fluid in it. Is it OK to use with a popper burn out. I have about 4 pallets..

Thanks

Ryan

Personally I'd look for a different drum but with that said I know people have used worse things and claim they are fine once burned out

If you could find a food grade barrel I would buy it instead but if that barrel is all you can find then it can be used with a little bit of extra work. I personally wouldn't ever use one but I have food grate barrel available to me and for some people that isn't an option so you have to make due.

Thanks for the info, I think I will keep looking for another barrel. Who knows I might get a wild hair and get this one cranking now. I am ready to do some smoking..

Clean it, burn it, season it, and cook on it.

The only thing I would check for is to make sure it does not have an epoxy liner. So long as there is no liner, its no different then a fuel oil tank or a diesel tank. Slightly different then a propane tank but not much. Both of the comp rigs I cook on are old diesel fuel tanks.

There are many options to clean it, I used dawn dish soap, you know,,,, the one that cuts grease  lol.

Good Luck which ever way you go.

What Tom said^^

If it does have an epoxy liner you either get it out the hard way with a grinder and wire wheel or what I did was have mine sandblasted for $20.

Get to building, we need some Qview!  

We're waiting!
popcorn.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky