Is this barrel ok to use??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigred150

Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I got a 55 that had hydraulic fluid in it. Is it OK to use with a popper burn out. I have about 4 pallets..

Thanks

Ryan

Personally I'd look for a different drum but with that said I know people have used worse things and claim they are fine once burned out

If you could find a food grade barrel I would buy it instead but if that barrel is all you can find then it can be used with a little bit of extra work. I personally wouldn't ever use one but I have food grate barrel available to me and for some people that isn't an option so you have to make due.

Thanks for the info, I think I will keep looking for another barrel. Who knows I might get a wild hair and get this one cranking now. I am ready to do some smoking..

Clean it, burn it, season it, and cook on it.

The only thing I would check for is to make sure it does not have an epoxy liner. So long as there is no liner, its no different then a fuel oil tank or a diesel tank. Slightly different then a propane tank but not much. Both of the comp rigs I cook on are old diesel fuel tanks.

There are many options to clean it, I used dawn dish soap, you know,,,, the one that cuts grease  lol.

Good Luck which ever way you go.

What Tom said^^

If it does have an epoxy liner you either get it out the hard way with a grinder and wire wheel or what I did was have mine sandblasted for $20.

Get to building, we need some Qview!  

We're waiting!
popcorn.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky