"Is this already being discussed?" at the start of every new thread...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am confused. But I think that is my new normal state.

Gravy vs sauce tho...really depends on your heritage and not so much the product...IMO

Gravy is made from dripping and/or roux. Sauce is for pasta. One does not put gravy on pasta. Unless it is cheese sauce for mac and cheese. Thus spoke Zarathustra

In my house as a kid gravy was anything you could pour on food at the table and sauce was done at the stove/counter.

In the time I lived in Jersey, I don't recall any Italian I knew to call pasta sauce anything other than gravy.
Having been born and raised in Jersey, and married to a full Italian, also born and raised in Jersey, I agree 110%. Any Tomato based sauce that you put on pasta or meatballs, etc., will forever be referred to as gravy. Any other reference to this is verboten. I learned this many times over, lol.

...and pearly white smiles.

Chris
Chris, you had me at pearly.
Almost sounds like purdy…purdy smile.

And forget politics. This is SMF.

Smoke dat meat with a pearly smile!
image.jpg

Dave if you want to start a new thread about ribs everyday go right ahead I got no problem with it. Now if you copy and paste the info from one thread into the next one to create it that might be a bit much but if it's not the same exact words post on. We used to get some members who liked to tell people to do a search before posting a question and that was dealt with. The search feature doesn't work all that great at times and many members have a hard time figuring it out. Our answer was if you don't like answering the same question then don't another member will be more than happy to. Dave that comment was not directed to you at all I have seen you answer the same question more than a couple times, heck I've probably ask you the same questions multiple times.

I keep hoping that the Search Engine on this platform will get better over time like the one we had about 6 to 10 years ago. I used to go around bragging about SMF having the Best Search Engine on the Internet. It was Awesome!!

Bear

I first learned about the Italian gravy watching the Soprano's (best TV show ever made)

Having been born and raised in Jersey, and married to a full Italian, also born and raised in Jersey, I agree 110%. Any Tomato based sauce that you put on pasta or meatballs, etc., will forever be referred to as gravy. Any other reference to this is verboten. I learned this many times over, lol.
And they would all be wrong....

Actial to definition of gravy:
1. a sauce made from cooked meat juices together with stock and other ingredients.

any body fancy some biscuits and gravy for dinner?
not everybody is from Joysey and Philly.

Attachments

• the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sauce-recipe-step-09-05ad7578f9d34a5092...jpg
    the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sauce-recipe-step-09-05ad7578f9d34a5092...jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 7
From what I understand. The term gravy - meaning spaghetti sauce comes from early 20th, late 19th century Italian immigrant woman. Who brought their recipes over from the homeland. Another old proper name for spaghetti sauce is Ragu.

My mom who grew up in Fort Hamilton and Bay Ridge Brooklyn had many a friend in her yout who were very Italian(if you know what I mean), and she was taught at an early age that the proper way of asking for extra sauce was "Can I have some extra gravy on my pasta".

Chris

From what I understand. The term gravy - meaning spaghetti sauce comes from early 20th, late 19th century Italian immigrant woman. Who brought their recipes over from the homeland. Another old proper name for spaghetti sauce is Ragu.

My mom who grew up in Fort Hamilton and Bay Ridge Brooklyn had many a friend in her yout who were very Italian(if you know what I mean), and she was taught at an early age that the proper way of asking for extra sauce was "Can I have some extra gravy on my pasta".

Chris
Exactly. Bay Ridge Brooklyn is about as authentic Italian as you can get without going back to the "Motherland." Still to this day. We visit friends there once in a great while and they have some of the best Italian Bakeries and restaurants. When we go there we always ask for extra "Gravy."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky