Is there true shame in having to finish a smoke in my kitchen oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tallbald

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Southern KY
Yes I'm an infant in the art of smoke. And it IS a cooking art just as much as "French" and Italian" cooking specialties are with their preps and nuances. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I'm learning, but this isn't my first dance with acquiring a skill and I see the complexities of relationships between the endless variables in this wonderful endeavor.
My new OK Joe Highland replaced an abused and rusted, bargain priced offset smoker (I had loaned it to my college age son for 7 years) which I had tried patching a few times. Now that old smoker lives again as parts cut, fabricated and installed in my Highland. But even during my first two smokes in my new Highland I had problems getting past the "stall" despite everything I knew to try at the time on a couple butts (vent changes, foil wrap, bigger fire and more charcoal).
Both times I ended up having to slide the butts into a 350 degree F. electric oven for an hour at 11:00 at night to bring that internal temp up to 205 F. I was cold, tired, my back hurt and in doing the slide of shame I felt somewhat a failure.
Yes, the sub-freezing outside temperatures may have had an influence on results. I now have a felt welding blanket cut to size and foil wrapped firebricks placed in both chambers that seem to have helped the smoker chilling problem very much. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Should the same situation arise again are there Magic Words I can say to myself to assuage the guilt I feel using a kitchen appliance in the final stage of creating delightfully delectable products of my labor? Am I alone?
Thanks. Don.

Tallbald, You will be banished for life from this forum. You will never attain the level of meat-mopper(or what-ever comes after newbie). Your profile will be passed along from smoking forum to smoking forum until there aren't any more smoking fourms for which to join.

Just kidding, nothing wrong with finishing in the oven. Don't feel guilty. Many smokers before you have had to resort to the same thing.

Chris

No shame. In fact once you foil there is no point in "smoke" at all. You are just using the "Heat". 350* is on the high side though. But I wouldn't let your impatience stand in your way. Just let it ride out low and slow and your effort will be rewarded whether it is in the oven or your Highland.

I never did it, but there's no shame in that.
Like was said above, once you foil something you aren't adding smoke any more anyway.
I mainly never did it because I didn't want to get yelled at for bringing "Stinky"(her words) Smoke in the house.

Bear

Reactions: crazymoon
I've done it with pastrami several times.
Your smoker is just a glorified oven that smokes.
Especially if you have an electric smoker.
If the food you have in the smoker is foiled, then what difference does it make if you keep it in the smoker without any smoke or put it in the oven & get some sleep!
We all do it, & there is no shame in doing it.
Al

Thank you all. I am relieved. And I feel as if I am traveling the road that others of greatness have traveled (grins)!. Don.

First pork shoulder I smoked I dropped into the water tray when I was taking it off... so at least you didn't do that. I think they heard me yell F### three streets over.

TB, I would like to do it once and awhile under certain circumstances BUT my wife must be related to "Mrs. Bear" as no stinky smoked stuff is going in her oven. :)

Reactions: Bearcarver
First pork shoulder I smoked I dropped into the water tray when I was taking it off... so at least you didn't do that. I think they heard me yell F### three streets over.

Sometimes nothing else can quite express things as well....
LMAO!

Welcome to the human race.
And be glad it wasn't the dirt.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with using the tools you have on hand to achieve the end result.
Feel free to move things to a better tool for the finish.
Some think par boiling ribs to pre-cook them works best, then finish on the BBQ. (I don't, but I've had ribs done that way and they were very good.)
Do you only have a single knife? A single measuring spoon? A single pan?

The smell in the oven applies to pans, too. I used a cast iron casserole in the smoker, that was fine, but next time I used that piece in the oven it "bloomed" smoke aroma once it warmed up. It smelled exactly like there was a campfire in the kitchen.

Sometimes nothing else can quite express things as well....
LMAO!

Welcome to the human race.
And be glad it wasn't the dirt.
Indeed - was trying to smoke a pork shoulder to server for dinner that night - a few good lessons learned that day.

Yes I'm an infant in the art of smoke. And it IS a cooking art just as much as "French" and Italian" cooking specialties are with their preps and nuances. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I'm learning, but this isn't my first dance with acquiring a skill and I see the complexities of relationships between the endless variables in this wonderful endeavor.
My new OK Joe Highland replaced an abused and rusted, bargain priced offset smoker (I had loaned it to my college age son for 7 years) which I had tried patching a few times. Now that old smoker lives again as parts cut, fabricated and installed in my Highland. But even during my first two smokes in my new Highland I had problems getting past the "stall" despite everything I knew to try at the time on a couple butts (vent changes, foil wrap, bigger fire and more charcoal).
Both times I ended up having to slide the butts into a 350 degree F. electric oven for an hour at 11:00 at night to bring that internal temp up to 205 F. I was cold, tired, my back hurt and in doing the slide of shame I felt somewhat a failure.
Yes, the sub-freezing outside temperatures may have had an influence on results. I now have a felt welding blanket cut to size and foil wrapped firebricks placed in both chambers that seem to have helped the smoker chilling problem very much. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Should the same situation arise again are there Magic Words I can say to myself to assuage the guilt I feel using a kitchen appliance in the final stage of creating delightfully delectable products of my labor? Am I alone?
Thanks. Don.
do it all the time, i use an electric turkey roaster cause its smallish and i dont have to fire up the oven. your doing the same thing just with a different heat source that is inside (cold out) and easy to control.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky