Is there an Ideal Height?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Years ago when I first joined this sight, UDS builds were very popular. At that time I decided to build one and was glad I did because I learned a lot from many members here and was able to produced some wonderful meals on that old barrel. Also there were some tutorials by fellow members which helped me with my build.

Over the years I acquired more experience and knowledge and for some DUMB reason I decided to sell my UDS in lieu of other types of smokers. Probably to help pay for my first MES.

Well, nostalgia has taken over and since I have acquired all the smokers I presently need, (and since I have another 55 gallon drum lying around) I decided to go back to my roots. My only problem is that I have been searching for several days on our UDS Builds section and can't find any of the tutorials still intact. I pretty much remember what I want to do but for some reason a 24" Rule is sticking in my head. Can anyone help me out here?

Here is my plan:

3. . . 3/4 inch air intakes ( 2 with caps and one ball valve) equally spaced around the base of the barrel 3 inches from the bottom.
1. . .15 inch diameter charcoal grate with a 5" expanded metal wall for my charcoal basket.
4. . .4" bolts as legs for the basket and attached to a 16" pizza pan as an ash catcher.
2 . . .Cooking grates from 22 1/2 " Weber Kettle Grills. (Not sure if two cooking grates are necessary though).
And I am using the lid from one of the Kettles as my lid for the barrel.

SO, Here is my question. How far from the top of the barrel rim should I place my first cooking grate and how far down from the first grate should the second one be placed?
Does the 24" Rule apply to the distance the top cooking grate is from the base of the basket or does it apply to the one below it?
Or am I overthinking this project and just use one cooking grate?

My progress so far:

IMG_0278.jpg

LOL! and thanks for any advice,

John

Last edited:
This build tutorial from Big Poppa Smokers might help refreshing your last build. My drums are taller than a standard 55 gallon drum, but my top grate is 7.5" from the rim, and the second grate is 15" from the rim. I actually stopped using the second grate because I hang as many things as I can. Are you planning on getting a hanging rack?

I supersized my charcoal baskets to 10" tall, and this gives me much longer burn times.

3 intake vents should be plenty and if you want one dedicated for a wiggle rod, just buy the electrical panel plugs that snap in.

thirdeye thirdeye

Big Poppa Smokers video was unique to the drums they sell but thanks for the video.

Wasn't planning on a hanging rack but I suppose I could use my upper rack if I needed to hang anything.

I always used one of my capped vents for a wiggle rod (wire coat hanger) access but the electrical snap in plug sounds like a good idea.

Maybe I will use my second grate for a deflector or water pan. Not sure if a water pan is necessary but a drip pan would come in handy on long smokes.

Thanks again for your suggestions,

John

Last edited:
EjzmCe7.jpg

tHdT011.jpg

I initially built my hanging rack about 12 years ago to hang sausage and jerky but soon realized how well it works for other things. The bolts it's siting on are my top grate bolts. And I can spin it to balance out the doneness. I've done as many as 6 pastrami, 6 slabs of bacon, 8 whole pork loins and 10 racks of ribs. You're cooking in a different envelope of heat since your meat is not laying flat on a grate, and there is no turning. I use flat skewers for kabobs and chicken wings and hang them with S-hooks.
lujrIkd.jpg

I use 12" expanded for my charcoal basket walls. Much longer cooks like state above. I follow no 2 foot rule. I use a deflector over top of my coal basket to distribute the heat a bit better. When I made mine, I simply made the top rack far enough from the lid (mine is flat, not a done) to accommodate the tallest of briskets or rib roast, etc and the second one is the same distance below the first rack. Has all worked wonderful for me.

Also, I personally use three ball valves instead of two threaded nipples. Just easier to operate, no bending down :-)

I'm with ya, once upon a time these builds were wall to wall here!?
Better economy = more people with money to spend on fancy Lang's and pellet smokers instead of having to be more thrifty and build something for less.

Well Guys,

I have resolved to figuring this out on my own. . . I'm pretty sure I can handle it! Just needed some justification from the experts.

Thanks for your interest,
John

My top grate is 8 inches from the top, second grate 16 inches from the top. Basket 6 inches from the bottom. I only use the 2nd grate for a diffuser. I have (8) 1/2 inch for exhaust. I have (2) 3/4 inch ans (2) 0ne inch ball valves for intake.

What else to you want to know.?

Thanks pc farmer pc farmer ,

I pretty much have made up my mind to place my two grates exactly as you have and also using the bottom one for a diffuser.

Just wondering how your (2) 3/4" and (2) 1" ball valves work out for you? Seems like a lot to try to tweak and control.

Thanks for your help,

John

Last edited:
BandCollector BandCollector I keep ( usually ) only one 1inch open and control temps with one 3/4 inch. Other 2 closed. All wide open can hit high temps. I like the ability to grill on it too.

BandCollector BandCollector No problem. Let me know if you need more info.

I actually bought the basket from Big Poppa. It came with the u bolts for the basket to sit in. I use the same basket for my wood burner uds spinner.

Nice basket! As far as height of grills, the temp won't vary much from top to bottoms so I'd space 3 bolt circles every 6" from 12" above the basket to the top. Gives you variability that way. (Acorn nuts on the outside are always a nice touch.) But don't forget an infrared shield on top of your fire or else that lower rack (wherever it's located) will get too hot. Something like a ventilation panel that lets the smoke through but prevents the meat from "seeing" red hot coals. It can be two separate drilled plates with the holes spaced such that there' no line-of-sight path from coals to meat. (You can remove these for grilling.)

I know it's not what you mean, but as long as your coals aren't touching the drum bottom, you won't lose much heat if you space your UDS up on 6-12" legs. It keeps it from burning the grass or cracking the tile of places you might set this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky