Is the meat still safe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradjmyers

Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
I started a Boston butt last night about10 pm. On the green egg slow cooking about 210 degrees. When I got up this morning the egg temp was 100 degrees and the butt was 80. I gave the egg some air and it quickly came back up to 225.
is the meat safe or should I throw it out?

I'm not sure but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be around, mean while I would crank it up to 250 to 300 and keep cooking until you get an answer.

I agree to toss it. Low Temps create a breeding ground for the nasty stuff. Chock it up to an experience and move on. I've had to toss some really nice stuff through the years also, its never worth a risk of getting really sick.

Corey

That's a tough one. Was it injected? chef jimmyj chef jimmyj or daveomak daveomak will hopefully chime in although It's probably to late for this one. If it were me I would have kept cooking it until I heard from one of the safety experts.

Chris

Sorry I missed this one...Guys, if the meat is INTACT Bacteria on the surface is DEAD, HISTORY, KAPUT IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS AT 225°F!!! As soon as the surface gets to 140 or higher, the bacteria dies, always, everytime, and this will never change. There is then No Risk and No Reason to Toss the Meat.
Yes, there are Airborne Bacteria, that could, possibly get on the meat, but most smokers are pretty well sealed and besides, bacteria don't grow well on the Salty/Sweet surface of Rubbed or Dry meat, so AGAIN no risk.

Even IF the meat was injected, you have to know how hot the IT got before the smoker died. If the IT did or likely hit140°F+, no Risk.

This Info has written Hundreds of times around here, and you OTBS GUYS SHOULD KNOW THIS COLD!!!:emoji_rage: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
Everyone else, Please memorize it. For yourself and when giving Newbies advice.
There are VERY FEW CIRCUMSTANCES where Tossing the Meat is necessary, and they usually involve Ground Meat or Chicken....JJ

I went with the safe approach Jimmy because he never stated IT temps at or over 140. Or surface temp for that matter. Just because the Egg was showing 225. That didn't give me an indication that the surface made it there. But, you are far more versed in this then I am.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
When I looked at the post I analyzed what likely happened. To be at any risk, the fire would have had to die in under 60 minutes. If it stayed at 210 longer than 60 minutes, the meat surface would have gotten above 140°F and the surface bacteria would have died. Additionally, some 8 or more hours later, the meat IT was at 80°F and the cooker was at 100°F. This tells me the fire Definitely did not die in the first 60 minutes, since there is no way the meat could get to 80°F in Under 60 minutes at 210°F. People don't typically Inject Butts and when the do, it is an Acidic liquid like Apple juice, with Salt and/or Sugar. All are inhospitable to Bacteria so I didn't worry about the Interior Temp.

So Steve, I meant no Insult to you or any of the other contributors. I just hope to see OTBS members analyze the situation a little deeper before recommending Tossing meat.
Thank you for putting the effort in to help Newbies...JJ

When I looked at the post I analyzed what likely happened. To be at any risk, the fire would have had to die in under 60 minutes. If it stayed at 210 longer than 60 minutes, the meat surface would have gotten above 140°F and the surface bacteria would have died. Additionally, some 8 or more hours later, the meat IT was at 80°F and the cooker was at 100°F. This tells me the fire Definitely did not die in the first 60 minutes, since there is no way the meat could get to 80°F in Under 60 minutes a 210°F.

So Steve, I meant no Insult to you or any of the other contributors. I just hope to see OTBS members analyze the situation a little deeper before recommending Tossing meat.
Thank you for putting the effort in to help Newbies...JJ
I didn't take it as an insult. This helped me more in understanding issues like these. Thanks for the input.

I didn't take it as an insult. This helped me more in understanding issues like these. Thanks for the input.

I'm glad to hear this. NOW you know why I and the other Staff members recommended you for the Yellow Badge!...JJ👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky