Is Pollock a mild fish that's good to smoke ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red sled

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2017
Our local Fareway has 5 lb boxes of Pollock fillets on sale for $7.99 each. My wife and I like mild flavored fish. Is this a deal I should jump on ?

Any worries about fine bones like the last trout fillets I got ? Thanks.

It is a mild fish if you remove the skin and blood line,there is always a chance there may be some bones.
Richie

Never done Pollock. Would be fun to experiment with. Send me 2-3# of it and I'll give it a try :D Just keep researching online for recipes and then throw a dart at one. Or if you find a couple different recipes you want to try, divide up your stash and do a couple smoke-a-thon's.

Reactions: SonnyE
Like Richie says, it's a very mild fish. I've breaded and deep fried them before but never smoked. I have smoked a lot of flounder and I would say that it's a similar type of meat smoke wise so I would not give it a long heavy smoke. Try a batch and see how you like it, you can always adjust.

i really like pollock... It is very mild.. I bread it in Zatarain's Fish Fri... and skillet fry it.. They use pollock for surimi.. where they make fake crab and the like.. It does take other flavors really well... I muchly prefer it over tillapi... especially farm raised tillapia.. it has a muddy taste to me... pollock "should be" all wild caught.. no krap from the Mekong river...

Is that five lbs of fillets for $7.99, or $7.99 a pound? If the former, I'd jump on it. Fillets shouldn't have many bones, if at all.

Thank you all for your input ! Yes it's advertised as $7.99 for a 5 lb. box so I think I'll buy one box and try it.

They're also advertising Orange Roughy filets for $8.99 per lb. frozen.

I would encourage you to try it.
If you don't like it, I'd bet there is a cat around that would finish the box for you.

Orange Roughy is no Mackerel but it has a much stronger fishy flavor than Pollock, which some prefer to stand up to smoke...JJ

Thank you chef jimmyj. We do like orange roughy too.

Just wanted to report that the smoked Pollock was a success. It cooked quickly and didn't get as smokey as I would have liked, but I brined it for a couple hours before smoking with hickory chips and I was happy. It's kinda crumbly and fell apart getting it out of the smoker so I used it to make fish tacos. They were delicious with no strong fish taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky