Is Kingsford Charcoal different

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
DookCommander DookCommander are you using any wood? or just the charcoal?

In my char-griller offset I only use charcoal to start, after that it's all wood.

DookCommander DookCommander are you using any wood? or just the charcoal?

In my char-griller offset I only use charcoal to start, after that it's all wood.
I had been using a bed of charcoal and laying wood in to bring it up to my desired temp. Lately, I’ve been trying to keep the temp steady with only adding additional wood, but my management skills seem to be lacking. I just can’t maintain a good bed of coals to get new wood lit without nasty white smoke. I even keep my wood splits pre-heated for easier combustion.....but eventually give up and have to throw another half-chimney of lit coal on.

The silver lining: I’m stubborn enough to not throw in the towel. I will master this thing.

Reactions: DonP
I had been using a bed of charcoal and laying wood in to bring it up to my desired temp. Lately, I’ve been trying to keep the temp steady with only adding additional wood, but my management skills seem to be lacking. I just can’t maintain a good bed of coals to get new wood lit without nasty white smoke. I even keep my wood splits pre-heated for easier combustion.....but eventually give up and have to throw another half-chimney of lit coal on.

The silver lining: I’m stubborn enough to not throw in the towel. I will master this thing.
It's easier to maintain a steady heat using a combination of both charcoal and wood like you're doing. I just like to burn wood. No matter how you do it, if you're having fun and the food comes out good you're doing it right.

Reactions: DookCommander
It's easier to maintain a steady heat using a combination of both charcoal and wood like you're doing. I just like to burn wood. No matter how you do it, if you're having fun and the food comes out good you're doing it right.
Thank you Don.

I've used Kingsford charcoal as far as I can remember, I bought a bag yesterday and grilled some steak kabobs. It smoked a lot, more than I have ever seen. The food tasted really smokey, and not in a good way, basically ruin the kabobs. I checked the bag and noticed new bag says " now more BBQ flavor", old bag doesn't say this. Did Kingsford change something or did I get a bad batch of charcoal? I've used Kingsford for 25 years and never had this happen.
As a loyal blue-bagger, I've noticed you do have to wait a minute for the initial "smoke" to burn off . I still use an electric igniter in my chimney covered with coals. For $9.98 a bag I'm still loyal.
Never got a "bad" batch that I know of.

So far, the only thing I use charcoal for is when I'm camping and using a dutch oven. Sure glad I picked up a LOT of Kingsford bags back when Wal-mart was clearing them out at the end of the season for $4CAD a few years ago. My wife and son made fun of me, but I have around 10 bags downstairs and the price has gone through the roof recently and I haven't seen them on sale since.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky