Is Kingsford Charcoal different

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey jmo

Original poster
Nov 17, 2014
I've used Kingsford charcoal as far as I can remember, I bought a bag yesterday and grilled some steak kabobs. It smoked a lot, more than I have ever seen. The food tasted really smokey, and not in a good way, basically ruin the kabobs. I checked the bag and noticed new bag says " now more BBQ flavor", old bag doesn't say this. Did Kingsford change something or did I get a bad batch of charcoal? I've used Kingsford for 25 years and never had this happen.

Attachments

• 20210309_172727.jpg
    20210309_172727.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: negolien
Not sure if it's really changed. I did have to use a couple of bags over the last few months just because I couldn't find my normal royal oak generics. I didn't really notice more smoke from the blue bag but they definitely don't seem to burn as long as my ridged charcoal does. I also think they produce a bit less heat. That's just my opinion though.

G

I stopped using and following Kingsford after they changed their formula and briquette density 3 years ago. They made their briquettes less dense (.8 oz instead of 1 oz) but kept the same size, then put "Longer Lasting" on their bag. That's like shrinking a car's gas tank and saying "Goes Farther."

I used Kingsford for decades, but now use Royal Oak.

My non scientific observation is that they now produce more ash than I remember. There also an odor during lighting that is a bit different than I remember. It’s not as clean as when lighting Embers for example.

I still use it but it’s not my go to.

Reactions: bill1
Here's the only Kingsford I burn these days, and for the last few years.
It's much better than the "regular" briquettes.
DSC00515.JPG

Reactions: DonP
Like a lot of others, I was a loyal KBB fan. I read Ray's article and gave RO a try. I've never looked back. Before charcoal prices hit the roof last year, I could buy 36 lbs of RO for $8.88 at Wally World. I have nothing against Kingsford, and I never got a bad bag, but it's just overpriced compared to RO, Embers, Etc. I get a touch more ash from RO ( I think), but you just can't beat the price.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies, I don't think I'll be using Kingsford anymore. Something was definitely wrong with the bag I just bought. It seemed to smoke alot, and it burn my eyes ever time I would turn the kabobs. Also the food tasted terrible, don't know if was just a bad bag or if it's normal for Kingsford now. I am going to try lump charcoal and/or Royal Oak.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310-074150_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310-074150_Chrome.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: JC in GB
FWIW, those jumbo bags of Kingsford ProComp are on sale at Costo right now for $19 for two bags.
They offer that deal once a year in spring only, so if anybody wants to snag some, now's the time.
When it's gone it's gone till next year.

I stopped using and following Kingsford after they changed their formula and briquette density 3 years ago. They made their briquettes less dense (.8 oz instead of 1 oz) but kept the same size, then put "Longer Lasting" on their bag. That's like shrinking a car's gas tank and saying "Goes Farther."

I used Kingsford for decades, but now use Royal Oak.

Yep, that's how they go up on the price without going up on the price. Remember when a can of vegetables had 16oz? Or A link of Hillshire Smoked Sausage was a pound? Or a bag of frozen vegetables was a pound or 32oz? A gallon of bleach was 128oz? These are but a small few, but none exist anymore. And don't get me started on the rolls of paper towels with the smaller sheets.

By the way, I switched to lump a while ago and not looking back.....

Reactions: noboundaries
Turns out I was wrong, the Costo price of the dual bag combo of Kingsford ProComp is $15 for two, not $19 for two.

Look at me....the new guy resurrects an old thread and messes up the forum’s vibe. It’s not intentional though. I am going through briquette frustration myself. Without frustrating you all with long stories that have no bearing I’ll just let you know I remember Kingsford (or ”KBB” as you call them in your secret language:emoji_wink:) briquettes from long ago, before they made the ridges in them.

I just recently switched from a Gas Upright (Smoke Hollow) to an offset Stick Burner (Oklahoma Joe‘s Longhorn Combo) about six months ago. I’m assuming my local hardware store was selling old, forgotten about Kingsford briquettes, but my first couple of bags of charcoal were the “old style” without the ridges. They worked great and I was really enjoying my switch to the offset smoker. That’s before I eventually had to buy more charcoal and got the “newer” KBB with ridges. I had no idea this is ”the thing” now.

Does anyone make briquettes WITHOUT the ridges now? I’m going through charcoal twice as fast. I’m assuming the reason is because those “ridges” excludes about 20% of overall material, resulting in 20% less useful life. We know it’s more about the profits and less about the customer. When did they change to this trend?

If I try a bag of Royal Oak, does anyone think I can pull an overnighter butt smoke and manage, at least, a couple hours of sleep safely?

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Marknmd
I remember the good solid briquettes.
Don't remember when the ridges appeared, but I remember it marketed as faster lighting. About 2 years ago, I noticed the quality of all readily available briquettes went even worse. Poor heat and excess ash.
I don't like Royal Oak (RO) lump as the bags I tried were about 20-30% kiln dried lumber scraps.
I found Frontier lump and am very happy.

Try B&B briqs ...
Are you pointing to the briquettes or the char logs?

I like to use lump in my counter flows and briquettes in my Webbers. I spent some time working in Pennsylvania and discovered Humphreys Charcoal, excellent products. They make it in Brookville PA using local hardwoods, you can find in it that area but they also ship it, not cheap though.

Humplrey Lump .gif Humplrey Granular.jpg Humplrey Briquettes .jpg

Last time I looked the bags were sold by weight , more pieces per bag? never took the time to weigh or count them, still using bags bought 2-3 years ago, 2 left I think before a restock

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky