Is galvanized pipe fine for drain?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rikun

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah, I know it's not recommended, but there shouldn't be temperatures high enough to do any damage in the cooking chamber, right?

I'm asking because it's impossible to get simple black threaded pipe here in Finland any more! It's ridiculous, a couple of years ago it was everywhere...

Galvanized I can find at my local scrap yard, they look like sprinkler pipes ripped of somewhere.

Acid dip will get rid of zinc inside and out. If you are welding its best to remove it anyway. Welding galvanized causes toxic fumes.

RG

Yeah I knew that, was thinking I'd grind the galvanizing away before welding since I've heard that works also. That, and use a half mask respirator while welding.

Could also use square tubing inside the cook chamber as a drain. Once outside the CC...it'd take a little work to transfer it back to pipe without having too many leak/restriction issues, but it's a good way to not have to worry about the galvanized. Use round pipe just larger than the square pipe. 

Last edited:
That, or I could use plain pipe without threads inside and try to somehow weld it to a valve outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky