Is black mild steel food safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't think so as it won't be in contact with the food. If in doubt as to whether there was any oil put on it to prevent rust in storage/shipment clean it with a good degreaser and you'l be fine. If it were a griddle top I'd say clean it to bright steel but not in your case. Or in the case of the tens of thousands of smokers built with hot rolled steel.....
My buddy who made them cleaned them with a degreaser. I think if I spray em with PAM and season they'll be good to go.

I don't think so as it won't be in contact with the food. If in doubt as to whether there was any oil put on it to prevent rust in storage/shipment clean it with a good degreaser and you'l be fine. If it were a griddle top I'd say clean it to bright steel but not in your case. Or in the case of the tens of thousands of smokers built with hot rolled steel.....
Won't matter if the drippings from the food hit the plates and then vaporize correct? Probably overthinking this but don't want anyone to get sick.

No, I wouldn't think it would matter. Mill scale is made up of iron oxides (AKA rust....). I understand that it can be removed with vinegar or a vinegar solution but am not familiar with the particular process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky