Is anyone Sous Vide cooking their turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Is anyone going to Sous Vide their whole turkey? Not sure how they cram a whole 10-14 pound turkey and broth in a 2 gallon ziplock but maybe it’s fit.

• Wow
Reactions: kruizer and Sowsage
Warmed up turkey for Thanksgiving? I’ll pass.
That said, if you timed your cook right, pulled the turkey from the sous and broiled the skin,,,,, maybe, but there are better ways to cook that bird. Might just be me though.

NO, I'm smoking for a couple hours and then deep frying the bird! Plus wife wants another in the oven.
Sous Vide requires browning after water bathing for hours, lots of meat including chicken come out great with Sous Vide but I dunno about soaking a whole bird turkey or chicken. I'm not making chocolate chip cookies with Sous Vide either, I use the right tool for the task.

Reactions: smokin peachey
As much as I love my SV hot tub, somehow that doesn’t sound like it will turn out well. And won’t get that wonderful anticipatory aroma in the house.
Maybe try a sacrificial whole chicken in advance for a hint how Tommy Turkey may come out?

I looked at this a few years ago when Anova published the recipe. I was going to do a whole turkey breast but never did. Then last winter I was going to do a chicken but forgot. Figured someone here would've done one by now.

We haven't cooked a whole turkey in a few years. When we did I'd pretty much switched to spatchcocking them. Last couple of years we've been doing whole turkey breasts.
Last thanksgiving we cooked everything a few days before and took it with us to spend the holiday at a hot springs. Which was awesome! Nothing like soaking up shot spring water when its 10°f outside!

wild idea.... I am curious, but i fear it would lack some flavor that would come from any other form of cooking: baking, smoking, etc.

It would have to be a mighty small Turkey to fit in my "Sous Vide Supreme", if I had a mind to try it, which I don't.

Bear

Reactions: sandyut
wild idea.... I am curious, but i fear it would lack some flavor that would come from any other form of cooking: baking, smoking, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's why they have it swimming in broth. To add flavor into the meat.

You get flavor by adding spices and juices when sous viding other poultry so flavor would be there. Since you brown it in the oven I bet you'd get the roasted flavor since the bulk of that is whats going on with the skin.

I'll be rotisserie cooking our TD turkey breast this year in the minitisserie. I picked up three whole breasts so I may experiment with one before Christmas just for fun.

I did turkey ternderloins once and they were great. Little cajun seasoning and a couple pads of butter.

Is anyone going to Sous Vide their whole turkey? Not sure how they cram a whole 10-14 pound turkey and broth in a 2 gallon ziplock but maybe it’s fit.

The most tender And moist Turkey is sous vide. This year i plan to sous vide two turkeys, each in seperate large oven plastic bag with 4 lbs of chicken broth each And some spices. Sous vide for 24 hours at 150. Once sour vide is done, i remove it carefully as it is extremely tender, i apply a rub along with some liquid smoke and clarified butter and then brown it in the oven at 375 until skin is crispy.

The most tender And moist Turkey is sous vide. This year i plan to sous vide two turkeys, each in seperate large oven plastic bag with 4 lbs of chicken broth each And some spices. Sous vide for 24 hours at 150. Once sour vide is done, i remove it carefully as it is extremely tender, i apply a rub along with some liquid smoke and clarified butter and then brown it in the oven at 375 until skin is crispy.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Post some photos of your process and the final plated pictures!

Turkey is broken down and in vacuum sealed in the sous vide.
Will be on the smoker in the morning.
20201125_165702.jpg

Reactions: SonnyA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky