Is a small propane grill worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What do you guys think about this grill

I'm sure it would be ok but it is only 71.4 BTU's per square inch of cooking surface. That falls below the desired range of 80-100 BTU of square inch.
The closer you get to the 80-100 BTU per square inch, the better the ability to cook steaks and sear meat. The sear is one of the main factors for a really good steak.

If that grill was all I could afford or the only option I had I would go with it or find one for similar price that gave more BTU per square inch... if there is one :)

I am a firm believer in the convenience of propane. There is a large, high-end built in propane grill on the patio that gets used very often. I converted my custom built smoker that I got a couple years ago to run on propane. It still uses wood chunks for smoking but heat source is propane and it's WAY easy to dial in the exact temp you want due to being equipped with a micro adjustable needle valve to regulate the flow of propane. I just recently got the Santa Maria grill and immediately built and installed a 4-burner propane log lighting system in it. That is just used for lighting the logs for cooking but it makes the grill far more usable. I can be up and cooking in a matter of a few minutes with the propane running wide open to light the wood. The only 2 cookers I have that are not using propane in some way are the digital electric sausage smoker and the BGE. No question that there are flavor benefits to charcoal and/or wood but you can certainly turn out some world class food on a propane grill, and there's no ash mess to clean up when done and no wait time to start cooking while the coals get lit up.

Adding fuel to the fire,
Robert

Reactions: tallbm
I am a firm believer in the convenience of propane. There is a large, high-end built in propane grill on the patio that gets used very often. I converted my custom built smoker that I got a couple years ago to run on propane. It still uses wood chunks for smoking but heat source is propane and it's WAY easy to dial in the exact temp you want due to being equipped with a micro adjustable needle valve to regulate the flow of propane. I just recently got the Santa Maria grill and immediately built and installed a 4-burner propane log lighting system in it. That is just used for lighting the logs for cooking but it makes the grill far more usable. I can be up and cooking in a matter of a few minutes with the propane running wide open to light the wood. The only 2 cookers I have that are not using propane in some way are the digital electric sausage smoker and the BGE. No question that there are flavor benefits to charcoal and/or wood but you can certainly turn out some world class food on a propane grill, and there's no ash mess to clean up when done and no wait time to start cooking while the coals get lit up.

Adding fuel to the fire,
Robert

I'm with you there 100% brother!
I never thought about a santa maria and propane that would be way cool!

I'm sure it would be ok but it is only 71.4 BTU's per square inch of cooking surface. That falls below the desired range of 80-100 BTU of square inch.
The closer you get to the 80-100 BTU per square inch, the better the ability to cook steaks and sear meat. The sear is one of the main factors for a really good steak.

If that grill was all I could afford or the only option I had I would go with it or find one for similar price that gave more BTU per square inch... if there is one :)
I guess this one is above 100 BTU/sq inch and is a good price too https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgril...ickid=3G50T0R99xyJRcqwUx0Mo34VUklWrB2zQSGu2M0

Reactions: tallbm
Hi, my friend's recieved Weber last week. Propane tank is hidden and it's perfect for his balcony! We tested it on Sunday, and now I'm thinking of buying it too, works perfectly and burgers were delicious.
I think you should consider gas grill, I liked it better than electic one my parents have (maybe I was too impressed grilling on it, but it's worth the money)
Was anyone upset with weber 46110001?

It looks like a fine little grill. I don't mind spending a bit more for quality. And Weber is a quality grill. I've had my Weber Q for years now. And it not given me a bit of trouble.

It looks like a fine little grill. I don't mind spending a bit more for quality. And Weber is a quality grill. I've had my Weber Q for years now. And it not given me a bit of trouble.
I'm doing some reseach on grills, found these grills that I like and can afford, but it's hard to choose! My parents advise Char-Broil as it's cheeper, my friend is so happy with Weber, but you say there're some issues. I'm thinking of Fuego now, that comes first on those reviews, as it's not too cheep and super slim.
Don't know what to do
What do you say about those gas grills?

I'm doing some reseach on grills, found these grills that I like and can afford, but it's hard to choose! My parents advise Char-Broil as it's cheeper, my friend is so happy with Weber, but you say there're some issues. I'm thinking of Fuego now, that comes first on those reviews, as it's not too cheep and super slim.
Don't know what to do
What do you say about those gas grills?

Fuego looks good. Small cooking area. Though it wouldn't be a problem for cooking for 2. Do some research here on the Weber Spirit II. You'll find some good feedback on that one.

Having spent plenty of time at Lowe's recently for materials to run power to nephew's pool I'd suggest actually going to some stores and looking at the clearances. Doubt these deals are online.

Hello,
I live in a condo with a patio and so I have no backyard. I cook steak right now in cast iron pan and an electric oven using a technique like this. It tastes ok but when I cook steak it fills the whole house with smoke. I also wanted to cook pork chops and grill chicken. I have an electric grill. I was wondering if buying a propane grill for a single person will make any difference to the taste of food vs cooking it in an electric oven?
We love our little Charbroil x-200. runs hot which is good for steaks, skirts,etc.Also use it on the boat. Less expensive thn the weber Q series,. you just have to keep the infrared grid clean. our is 7 years old and only replaced the grid.

Attachments

• 752052_1l.jpg
    752052_1l.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2
propane is fine. if ya want a smaller one. just dont buy one of those 10-12 thousand btu's. get a 20 thousand btu. my old weber Genisus gets 550 degrees easy. when i want smoke i just throw some chunks on the burners

Is there a law against having BBQ grills on the balcony in Denver? Please advise looking to purchase a grill and want to be sure I get the right one. Thanks!
I'm not sure, that is up to your local laws, fire codes, and apartment building policies. Any of those could prohibit having an open flame grill.

I've never used one but Webber makes an electric grill with a grill stand that is basically an outdoor griddle. Seemed to have good reviews and would satisfy being no flame BUT isn't the same as a propane grill.

When I lived in an apartment complex I built a wood lattice that I covered with cloth on the inside so it was a "privacy" blind for my patio.
I then used my propane grill there.

My apartment had a similar policy but when talking with the girls who worked the office, the main concern was that the fire department couldn't see open flame grills when doing inspections. So this was my work around since the apartment didnt really care as long as the fire department didn't ding them.

So, you might have some options but in any case don't burn down the place haha. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky