Is a small propane grill worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salilsurendran

Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Hello,
I live in a condo with a patio and so I have no backyard. I cook steak right now in cast iron pan and an electric oven using a technique like this. It tastes ok but when I cook steak it fills the whole house with smoke. I also wanted to cook pork chops and grill chicken. I have an electric grill. I was wondering if buying a propane grill for a single person will make any difference to the taste of food vs cooking it in an electric oven?

A small propane grill would probably be an improvement, with a live flame, and perhaps a pellet or chip box to infuse some smoke flavor.
On the other hand, you would open up up some interesting choices with a small pellet grill / smoker. Smoke, grill, bake, broil ,and more.
Last night I baked chocolate chip cookies in my Pit Boss, today there is a brisket and a pork shoulder going low and slow. Last Sunday it was a spatchcock chicken, really juicy, but with crispy skin.

Reactions: mike243
Personally, I would get one of the little Weber Smokey Joe grills. It uses charcoal, but the food tastes better because of it (in my opinion). Smokey Joe grills cost around $30.

For steaks, sear it hot and fast with the charcoal chimney, then dump coals in your Smokey Joe to finish it to the proper temperature.

I’d also check if there are any regulations in your complex. Some places won’t let you have anything with live fire. (Maybe you already checked this but just in case!)

I second the small non-propane options but I got a lot of mileage and good food out of a tiny propane grill!

I received a Weber Q Series single burner gas grill for an award at work and used it for a few years. I used it in place of my double burner Weber and loved it. I'd still be using it but it got totaled during my move a few months ago and since I have the Spirit II, no real reason to replace it. I'm sure you could use a chip pan with it or just make packets with chips and foil. They're $180 and up depending on model on Amazon/Lowes/Home Depot.

I’d also check if there are any regulations in your complex. Some places won’t let you have anything with live fire. (Maybe you already checked this but just in case!)

I second the small non-propane options but I got a lot of mileage and good food out of a tiny propane grill!
yes my community management will only allow propane

Indoor smokeless grill like Bearcarver has been testing an option, or are you going for the smoke ?

Hello,
I live in a condo with a patio and so I have no backyard. I cook steak right now in cast iron pan and an electric oven using a technique like this. It tastes ok but when I cook steak it fills the whole house with smoke. I also wanted to cook pork chops and grill chicken. I have an electric grill. I was wondering if buying a propane grill for a single person will make any difference to the taste of food vs cooking it in an electric oven?

yes my community management will only allow propane

Hi there and welcome!

The answer is that YES it will definitely be an improvement over your cast iron and oven approach.
I use propane over charcoal grills because I simply do not have time to start a fire, get the fire right, let the fire burn out, and then clean ash from the grill before the next use. A charcoal grill does impart better flavor and I would never argue otherwise, BUT I will argue all day that it doesn't impart such better flavor that it is worth the extra time (to me). Gas grills produce mighty fine food! I like to think of charcoal vs propane the same way I look at using salt. Kosher tastes better than table salt but it's not worth my time to go to the store and buy kosher if I have table salt in front of me to use :emoji_blush:

On a good entry level 2 burner propane grill I can have amazing steaks for 2-6 people cooked from start to finish in 15 minutes. I start the grill and go inside and prep the steaks (pull from fridge and season). When the steaks are done being prepped, a GOOD entry level grill on high is already searing hot (over 550F) and I throw the steaks on.
I do 3-4 min on each side for medium rare to medium and pull. I turn off the grill and close the propane tank off.
Take everything inside and eat while the grill cools off.
Clean up dirty dishes and save left overs and the grill is cool by the end of th emeal. I now walk outside and cover the grill.
The whole ordeal from beginning to end can be as fast as 45 minutes!

Since your apartment complex allows a propane grill I would encourage you to get one, 110%.

Now the key is to get a propane grill that gives you 80-100 BTU's per square inch of cooking surface! Most gas grills, expensive or cheap, often fail to meet this simple requirement :emoji_disappointed:

I bought my girlfriend an entry level propane grill that does 100 BTU's per square inch for $75 brand new back in 2016 and MAN I love that little grill for what it is!!!
Unfortunately you can't get it for $75 anymore but I found it here for a decent price when compared to the other grills that are more expensive yet less performant AND I can vouch that this grill has everything you need to make a great steak as it gets super hot and it was pretty simple to assemble. It lacks elegance, bells, and whistles but overachieves in performance and functionality and that is what really matters here:

Another less expensive entry level option that also meets the 100 BTU per square inch requirement is this Huntington grill:

I believe Huntington usually comes through on the BTU's because I bought my current home grill on craigslist because it met the BTU requirements and it just so happened to be a Huntington... but a much higher end grill than the entry level one in the link. :emoji_blush:

If I were in your shoes or recommending a starter propane grill I would not hesitate at all with the Thermos (1st link).
Seeing as how I have a higher end Huntington at home I would also give the entry level Huntington (2nd link) good consideration.

With any entry level grill I would also invest in a long grill lighter as you never know if the push button ignition will work, or for how long it will work. My girlfriends still works to this day. Here is an extra long grill lighter that should last a while:

I hope this info helps and I hope you get to grilling really good steaks and other food soon! :emoji_blush:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Hi there and welcome!

The answer is that YES it will definitely be an improvement over your cast iron and oven approach.
I use propane over charcoal grills because I simply do not have time to start a fire, get the fire right, let the fire burn out, and then clean ash from the grill before the next use. A charcoal grill does impart better flavor and I would never argue otherwise, BUT I will argue all day that it doesn't impart such better flavor that it is worth the extra time (to me). Gas grills produce mighty fine food! I like to think of charcoal vs propane the same way I look at using salt. Kosher tastes better than table salt but it's not worth my time to go to the store and buy kosher if I have table salt in front of me to use :emoji_blush:

On a good entry level 2 burner propane grill I can have amazing steaks for 2-6 people cooked from start to finish in 15 minutes. I start the grill and go inside and prep the steaks (pull from fridge and season). When the steaks are done being prepped, a GOOD entry level grill on high is already searing hot (over 550F) and I throw the steaks on.
I do 3-4 min on each side for medium rare to medium and pull. I turn off the grill and close the propane tank off.
Take everything inside and eat while the grill cools off.
Clean up dirty dishes and save left overs and the grill is cool by the end of th emeal. I now walk outside and cover the grill.
The whole ordeal from beginning to end can be as fast as 45 minutes!

Since your apartment complex allows a propane grill I would encourage you to get one, 110%.

Now the key is to get a propane grill that gives you 80-100 BTU's per square inch of cooking surface! Most gas grills, expensive or cheap, often fail to meet this simple requirement :emoji_disappointed:

I bought my girlfriend an entry level propane grill that does 100 BTU's per square inch for $75 brand new back in 2016 and MAN I love that little grill for what it is!!!
Unfortunately you can't get it for $75 anymore but I found it here for a decent price when compared to the other grills that are more expensive yet less performant AND I can vouch that this grill has everything you need to make a great steak as it gets super hot and it was pretty simple to assemble. It lacks elegance, bells, and whistles but overachieves in performance and functionality and that is what really matters here:

Another less expensive entry level option that also meets the 100 BTU per square inch requirement is this Huntington grill:

I believe Huntington usually comes through on the BTU's because I bought my current home grill on craigslist because it met the BTU requirements and it just so happened to be a Huntington... but a much higher end grill than the entry level one in the link. :emoji_blush:

If I were in your shoes or recommending a starter propane grill I would not hesitate at all with the Thermos (1st link).
Seeing as how I have a higher end Huntington at home I would also give the entry level Huntington (2nd link) good consideration.

With any entry level grill I would also invest in a long grill lighter as you never know if the push button ignition will work, or for how long it will work. My girlfriends still works to this day. Here is an extra long grill lighter that should last a while:

I hope this info helps and I hope you get to grilling really good steaks and other food soon! :emoji_blush:
Thanks for the detailed reply. Could you please share the links to the products you are recommeding?

They all have there place . Not sure of your price range , but if it's not an issue , get yourself a nice gas grill . Don't matter if your cooking for one or not . I fried chicken wings on mine tonight . I also bake alot of bread on it . Very useful . They are way more than convenient . I have a Genesis 310 . was hard to spend the money ,,, but no regrets after 4 years of use . I love it .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I’m not sure what your price range is but my coworker has a pellet grill (rec tec) that is just big (or small enough???) enough to cook two racks of ribs on. He has brought it to work and we have made some dang good chicken. He says it will go up to around 500 deg. F so you can definitely get some good searing action going.

I just bought a pit barrel cooker and it is a rib and chicken machine with a small footprint. It turned out some ok steaks but I have only tried it once. I’m sure with practice it will get better as I am still learning the cooker.

6AA661EF-9062-458B-8FEB-13732E979467.jpeg
D5846ECB-688C-4A7A-92B9-27DC5D8B2F38.jpeg
7EBBD27F-B88A-4A90-9840-3D8C88C6CB2E.jpeg

Since you can only use propane. Then I would recommend a Weber Q. I've had mine for close to 15 years. Never been a problem and cooks well. I also got the optional folding stand for it.

If propane is all that is acceptable then by all means. That small Weber would be a good choice if you are only cooking for yourself or maybe just one or two other people.

G

I agree with tallbm. Enough Btu's is very important for high heat searing for things like steak. I had a weber q for 10 years and it was a great dependable grill but never got a properly seared steak on it.

I agree with tallbm. Enough Btu's is very important for high heat searing for things like steak. I had a weber q for 10 years and it was a great dependable grill but never got a properly seared steak on it.

Strange, mine does fine with searing. The only time it didn't work well was because a lot of the holes on the burner were plugged.

I bought a Weber Spirit II a 2 months ago, and I have been absolutely thrilled with it. If I haven't used it 40+ times since I bought it, I'd be surprised. It's a three burner so doing low and slow offset/indirect cooking is a breeze. It also dials in and maintains steady temps during those times where I'm doing say a reverse sear steak. It's been pretty consistent also, I eat chicken thighs probably 2-4 meals a week and I call it my 26 minute chicken based on how I sear, then indirect cook the thighs.

The grill itself is a little pricey, but it has a bumper to bumper 10 year warranty which is a helluva warranty for a grill.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Weber Kettle, but like you I don't always have the time to light and wait on a chimney of coals to be ready. With the Spirit II I can be hot and cooking in 5 minutes, which allows me the time to cook my lunch fresh in the morning.

As far as taste, if the oven's burner has enough BTU, you might not really impressed with a grill. We actually prefer pan seared over grilled most often BUT my grill's side burner is 12K BTU. That said, the convenience... Grill wins hands down. No stink, no heat, no clean up, etc. If you get a grill, get one with a side burner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky