Is a reverse switch important?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hmmm, I payed $139 for my STX 3000 TF. Free shipping on Amazon. $9 more seams fair for getting the reverse.
You must have bought yours some time ago, or bought a used one?  I'm guessing.  The lowest price I can find for new one is  $169.

I'm still considering it though.
A foot switch for your grinder will make stuffing so much easier. Still can't come close to the ease of a stuffer though.
I never thought of a foot switch.   I just read a bit on them and it makes the buttons functions inoperable when plugged into to foot control.  Like you can't use reverse or change speed.  But I wonder if you set your button select ( as low speed) before plugging into foot switch, would it still work at the low speed for stuffing, or would it override the setting and only use the faster speed.  Anyone know about this?.

If I could maintain the slower speed selected, and use the foot switch on that setting, then I would be inclined to buy the STX grinder, because it has a slow speed for stuffing.

You must have bought yours some time ago, or bought a used one?  I'm guessing.  The lowest price I can find for new one is  $169.

I never thought of a foot switch.   I just read a bit on them and it makes the buttons functions inoperable when plugged into to foot control.  Like you can't use reverse or change speed.  But I wonder if you set your button select ( as low speed) before plugging into foot switch, would it still work at the low speed for stuffing, or would it override the setting and only use the faster speed.  Anyone know about this?.

If I could maintain the slower speed selected, and use the foot switch on that setting, then I would be inclined to buy the STX grinder, because it has a slow speed for stuffing.

I just checked for foot switches on Amazon. No mention about locking out certain speeds. Don't understand why it would. Its just a momentary switch. I've used one on my grinder for yrs when stuffing, but haven't used my grinders for stuffing since getting a stuffer several years ago.

Brand new unit, purchased in November. I had been watching for a price drop and lucked out. That said even at $30 more than the one you're looking at I go for it especially if you ever decide to grind bones. I can tell you this it will grind 5 pounds of meat in a mater of seconds. Oh yeah the STX has a 3 year warranty too.

Last edited:
A foot switch is in line with the power cord and when the  pedal is depressed the contact is made and power is sent to the grinder. Its should have no affect on the reverse not working. Most grinder forward switches ares self maintained where the reverse switch is a release off switch

I don't remember which site I read, when it said it disables the machine functions like reverse.  I would not need reverse when stuffing.  Maybe they meant it disables it when the foot switch was depressed.  You know, like not being able to change from one speed to another while switch was depressed.

But I see no reason why I can't set machine to low speed then plug into foot switch.  I just sent an email to LEMS with that question. 

Will let you all know what they said.  I think I will email the STX site with the same question, and see what they have to say too.

Google was no help, yet again.  I Hate Google!

Dirtsailer, you sure got a good deal!  If LEM gives me the right answer, then I will get the stx because of the low speed setting for stuffing, and the extra knives.

Stuffing with the grinder will have to work for me for the time being, unless I get caught up in sausage making, then I'll have to look stuffers.  I'd have to spend more that the $90 one gear stuffer because I have shoulder problems, and wife has MS.  So how much effort it takes to crank the meat though is a concern.  We would have to have a geared down type.

------------------

Hmmm.... the STX supplier doesn't seem to have an email address to contact them.  Only a snail mail addy or phone number.

Strange in this day and age of internet shopping. 

Maybe I should snail mail them so I have their reply in writing, rather than just a phone call which can be denied later.

Last edited:
The STX supplier didn't have email option to contact.

LEM has not replied as of yet.

Emailed Cabela's last night, and received prompt response today.
Hello Frank,

Thank you for contacting us. the foot pedal should work the grinder at the specified speed set on the grinder prior to connecting the foot pedal. If you have any questions, or need further assistance with anything else, please let us know.
Thank you for visiting cabelas.com and come back soon!

Sincerely,
Naomi J.
That's the answer I was looking for!   I thought it would be, but wanted to be sure before ordering a foot switch.

Yes, mowin, I'll be ordering a switch, or picking one up locally, for less money.

I will order a STX machine because of the high/low/reverse speeds, and extra blades.  Not sure yet whether or not the air cowl is worth it or not, but it can't hurt, even if there is no fan, which they don't mention, so I'm assuming it's just two vents for air.

They claim it extends life of machine up too 200%.  I doubt that without a fan, but it may extend it 50%, which seems reasonable for an extra twenty bucks.

For the small amount of sausage I'll be making, I'll forego the separate stuffer for now. and buy a footswitch to use with it.

Now, is there any glaring errors in my thinking?   Please tell me now, and not after I buy the stuff.  LOL

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance.

I appreciate it very much!

Last edited:
I ordered the STX 3000 TF.  Received yesterday afternoon, unpacked tonight.  First look.

Holy Crap!   This thing is Hugh! 

Much larger than I thought!  Maybe I should've got my tape measure out and compared it to specs.  LOL

I'm not sorry I bought it though.  I'm sure this will take care of all my needs and do it much, much faster than my old hand crank.

It will also grind raw chicken bones along with the meat for our pets.  That's a big plus.

Here are some photo's.  I hope it shows the size well.   I think to get bigger, you'd have to spend $500 to $1000, or more, for commercial one.

I've also ordered a momentary foot switch from Harbor Freight for around 20.00 including shipping and tax.  I think it was 13.99 + tax, if picked up.

Last edited:

You're going to love that grinder. I really like mine. Since you plan on using it for grinding chicken bones its a good thing you got the reverse. You would've regretted it had you not.

I already love it, and haven't even used it yet!

Not sure on the bones yet dirtsailor.  Depends on whether or not the pets will want to switch to all raw meat & veggie diet or not.

I know it says not to grind just bones.  It needs the meat to push it through, otherwise it will jam.  Also only grind raw chicken bones.  Nothing else.

I hope the dog especially will accept it.  She has a stomach that is very sensitive to the grains in store food, whether wet or dry.  Causes inflammation and swelling in the lining of her stomach and intestines.   Only 9 months old, and already a trip to vet for that problem.  She ate cooked, skinless, boneless, chicken breast, and rice, for 3-4 weeks along with meds, before she returned to normal.  She will still throw up if wife gives her too many "Doggie" treats.  Yes, I am also trying to train the wife, to not give them to her, no matter how much fun it is.  But it is her dog, So you know how that is going.  LOL

I bought a 6+ lb. eye of round on sale last Sunday for 2.99/lb.  I should've bought at least 2 or 3 of them at that price, but didn't know for sure I was going to get grinder yet.  So I was just going to use the round for jerky and dried beef.  Now the whole thing is going to be Chili Grind beef.  I hate when the hamburger breaks down into tiny pieces in my chili.

Last edited:
Yeah.  I was thinking of that too.

I already dehydrate raw sweet potatoes for some of her snacks.   She loves them.  And the nice thing with sweet potatoes is, that no matter how much she eats, her stool will be neither loose or too firm.  Something about the sweet potatoes always makes it just right.

When we took her to vet for stomach problem she  (the vet) asked what on earth was she eating that was orange?   We said sweet potato treats, and she laughed and said that was good.  A lot of people  don't know about how good that is for dogs.  It's the grains dairy, and too much fats, that is bad for dogs.

I won't be grinding to many bones for her just one or two per batch.  The rest, I'll bone out and save for making stock.

I've recently introduced her to probiotics, via sauerkraut.  She loves the stuff!  Wife HATES it!  I eat either Kimchi or sauerkraut, myself daily.  It has done wonders for some internal problems I had.  Even my family Doctor is amazed.  So It's got to be good for dog too, right?

My wife can't believe I have corrupted her dog to the dark side of eating Kraut.  LOL 

I ran out of Kraut tonight when I fed the pup, her dinner, and it took her 4 hours before she would it, because it wasn't in her food.  LOL

Last edited:
POINTS to you for the video !!! Especially the wet sanding. Thats basically how I do mine. An excellent set of video instructions anyone with a grinder needs to learn from KUDOS my friend.
points.gif
Sorry if I hi-Jacked..
hijack2.gif

Well, it took awhile, but I finally received my foot switch from Harbor Freight.  Used grinder a couple of days ago for first time.

The foot switch is just as handy for grinding, as I expect it will be for stuffing too.

AWESOME!  Is all I can say about the STX 3000 MF.

I ground 6 lb. (after trimming) of eye of round for Chili grind, and 2.5 lb. of chuck roast (after trimming)

I saved the trim for when I make stock again.

I was going to make a video of my first time using it.  Got my little camera out and showed my wife just how far away to hold it, and etc.  and.....

oops!  Batteries went dead after 2 seconds of video.  LOL   CRAP!

So I have no Q-view for this.  But actual grinding time for 8.5 lb. of beef (6lb. single grind, & 2.5 lb. double grind for burgers) was about 4-5 minutes, maybe less.  I couldn't keep up with it.  We couldn't believe how fast it went.  The longest time spent in grinding was when I changes plate for second grind for the chuck burgers.  That took almost as long as the actual grinding, because of cleaning out the grinder before placing new plate in.

Total time from start to finish, was about 10 minutes.  And this was my first time ever using an electric grinder!

I washed, dried in oven, oiled, then cooled down, and placed all grinder parts into freezer for a couple of hours or more, including the hopper

I trimmed the chuck roast for burgers 1st, and put into freezer.  Then did the eye of round for chili meat.  So the chuck was almost totally frozen after over an hour in freezer, and the round was partially frozen on outside.

After grinding it all, all metal parts were still very cold to touch.  No heat generated to speak of, at all.  Never needed reverse gear.

I did not cube the meat either.  I cut into long strips about 1 1/2' to 2" thick, just so they would fit in the feeding tube.  Worked perfect!  Only had to use the pusher on the thicker ones to get them down to the grinder screw.  And of course I had to use pusher for the second grind of chuck.

Another thing I did, to save washing and clean up was, I took gallon Zip Lock bags, folded tops down, and just held the bottoms tight over grinder as I ground the meat.    Talk about pre-packaging!  LOL 

I will be making Chili in a week or so to can up, so no need to vac pack this batch.  But if I was going to do large amounts for much later, I would do same thing with vac bags.  Fold over, hold over the exit end, and then vac-pack.  At least one or two less pans/bowls to wash.

Oh yeah... one more thing.    The burgers were great, and took me back to my childhood, as it tasted just like our burgers after church on Sunday night.  But that was when grocery stores had an actual meat market, and you didn't have to search out, or pay extra for something so simple as fresh ground burgers from the same cow.

I told my wife tonight;  "You know in the 25+ years we've been married, we've had a lot of burgers with tomato and onions slices, and never once did I think back to childhood until we made these."  It's almost spiritual.  I went back 55-60 years with one bite.

Just for that experience, this grinder is worth every penny.

Glad the grinder is performing well. Now your grinder is going to get lonely and needs a mate like a stuffer to keep it company while your away...... lol  homemade sausage would be a great addition to those burgers you remembered so well as a kid.......

Joe

Glad you like your new machine. I like mine too.

A parchment paper lined bowl or meat lug or baking sheet makes for easy clean up too. I do the baking sheet when I make sausage or burger patties.

I like to be able to weigh the final product before packing so I know how much is going into the freezer. That way when a recipe calls for "x" pounds I can pull out the appropriate amount. I suppose you could use your bag method and just weigh it in the bag and be close enough.

Bride and I grind directly into "new bread sacks" for burger... then vac pack the bagged burger in vac bags...  easy to remove when frozen...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky