1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is a mailbox mod necessary for an AMNTS in a propane smoker?

Discussion in 'AMNPS Tester forum' started by Mattyt7, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Mattyt7

Mattyt7 Fire Starter

My wife is asking for things to get me for Christmas, relatively inexpensive, so a new smoker isn't a good answer . . . for now ;). So the first thing that came to mind was an AMNTS for my 24" smoke vault. I've been on a mission lately to find a way to get continuous TBS and avoid the "campfire" smell (as opposed to a nice flavor wood smell) I often get. The smell isn't terrible, but I feel like no matter what type of wood I use, the smoke flavor pretty much tastes the same. The food always turns out pretty good, I just like to constantly tweak things trying to make the food as good as I can. I've tried wet chips, dry chips, and chunks all in various quantities and temperatures with out a ton of luck.

Now back to the point. . . I think I want to give the AMNTS a try. I've read a lot about the trays and most people do the mailbox mod, but is it necessary for the tube as well? Do you think it will be a step forward in my mission above?

2. Think of the mailbox mod as a remote smoker. The further you get the smoke source away from the meats (within reason) the more time the smoke has time to cool and drop out creosote (AKA the sour, bitter nasty tasting stuff). The interior of my mailbox after only a couple of uses is covered in black creosote which is exactly where I want it instead of wafting up past the meats.

Even hot smoking can only benefit from adding in cool clean smoke.

The simple answer is NO you do not need the mailbox mod but for the $25 or $30 investment is money well spent.

3. Mattyt7

Mattyt7 Fire Starter

Is there a reason that the creosote build up is worse than just burning chips or chunks?

4. Creosote is a byproduct of burning wood be it pellets, chips, chunks or logs. A hot roaring fire a lot of the creosote is burned up. A smoldering smoking fire has a lot if unburned creosote leftover.