Is 36x16 to small for a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mike_W_47

Original poster
May 1, 2021
I'm a mechanic and the place I work has 2 tanks from old propane units that have been sitting to the side for a while now, I was thinking they would make a decent smoker. I'm currently using a oklahoma joe so these tanks are almost the same size just a bit skinnier and tad longer. I'm gonna ask the main boss Monday if I can snag them to try and make a smoker. I have decent welding experience but I guess I'm asking do you think the size of the tanks are worth it or should I try to find bigger?
20210430_185508.jpg
20210430_185450.jpg

easter.jpg

i'm pretty sure the cooker on this old Brinkmann I got a few months back is 36"x17.5", and that amount of space is plenty. It's quite a bit heavier/sturdier than the Char-Griller Smokin' Champ I had, that I'm guessing was around the same size as your OK Joe.. and having this thicker steel is NICE! much easier to keep stable temps and a lot cheaper to use.

You may want rib racks or fashion hooks to hang chickens for bigger cooks of those respective natures, but those are cheap.

IMG_20210413_161008.jpg
fullsparebaconstick.jpg

That's a couple lb butt chunk and a 12" cast iron for size reference, and here's an untrimmed rack of spares. Just use that firebox calculator for how you should cut/weld the other tank

Last edited:
Good on you for wanting to repurpose those tanks. Good luck on the build.

Reactions: buzzy
Those should work for a smaller but still useable smoker. We've seen builds using smaller tanks. Be sure to start a thread on your build and take/post lots of pics. Good luck with it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky