Irish learning experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hello.
As I mentioned in a post a few days ago I was wanting to try Irish Sausage. Well I finally got around to it.
I used Rytek's recipe and pretty much followed it to the letter except for casing size (more about that later). I cut his 10# recipe in half for a 5# batch.
I also added #1 cure like I always do.
IMG_3298.jpg

They didn't have butts at the grocery but they had boneless country style on sale. Works for me since I want to save the butt in the freezer for PP.
Cut, ground and mixed:
IMG_3276.jpg IMG_3278.jpg IMG_3280.jpg

I was wondering about why so much water until I realized how much bread crumbs were in there!
It took a lot of mixing (and frozen hands) until I felt the crumbs were mixed evenly. Very sticky!
I let it sit in the fridge overnight.
It seemed so sticky that I thought I might need a bit more water the next day for stuffing but I just
went with it like it was. I just mixed some more before stuffing.
It flew through the stuffer like grass through a goose. Here's where I'll mention that I was using 32-34mm casings instead of 22-26mm....
Normally I'll get (+-) 15 links from 5# but I had to fill the can up twice and wound up with 25! I used up a whole sleeve of pre-tubed and I've never done that.
IMG_3283.jpg

The instructions said to dry in the fridge for 2 days. I let them hang in the garage for a couple of hours first.
They were really wet!
IMG_3287.jpg
But of course I couldn't wait and cooked a couple for dinner on the indoor grill.
Not dry enough and too soft, even though cooked to temp. I thought they tasted fine ( little bland), but the Mrs didn't finish hers...
IMG_3291.jpg

So yesterday I let them air dry outside for a couple of hours (It was in the upper 30s with a little breeze) and they dried considerably and got a little color.
IMG_3296.jpg
I cooked a couple with a couple of burgers for the Mrs. on the kettle. They came out much better:
IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3293.jpg

So what have I learned from this (aside from finding another sausage that my wife won't eat)?
I wanted an authentic Irish Sausage which I figured Rytek's would be. I'm thinking all the bread crumbs were to make the meat
go a little further in the old days.
Besides easier mixing, all that water would make the sausage run through a small horn for small casings.
Don't underestimate drying time.
Mix my cure with the meat only before grinding. I was "curing" a lot of bread.
As pungent as it smelled while mixing and drying, it was a little bland actually after cooked.
It will be a while before I make more since I have 21 links to eat myself and I've run out of freezer space but when I do
I'll add a little Mace and /or Allspice and cut the bread crumbs at least in half, as well as the water.

If you've read this you're as bored as I am!

Keep grinding and keep learning!

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3290.jpg
    IMG_3290.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If you've read this you're as bored as I am!
Nope , just interested . Maybe smoke a few , since you have the cure in them .

I don't know what's with the "attachments" at the end....
Those are pics you up loaded , but didn't use in the post . Maybe you had double of the one that did post . You can choose edit , then delete them .

Good effort .

Reactions: SmokyMose
Thanks all for the comments and likes :-)
Like I said, it was a learning experience. Just when I get a little cocky about my sausagemaking I get thrown a curve ball LOL! Actually they were tasty and once they dried sufficiently they firmed up nicely, but I think the bread crumbs and all that water were a little too much.....
I'm doing thighs this afternoon on the kettle and the Mrs. said she'll try the sausage again if I toss one on. Fingers crossed!
Dan

Reactions: chopsaw
"A little bland" Well, it's an Irish sausage... :emoji_laughing: Seriously, many family and friends have traveled there and have told me the food is legit bland. Also, IIRC sausage is mainly breakfast food over there.

Yours look great!

"A little bland" Well, it's an Irish sausage... :emoji_laughing: Seriously, many family and friends have traveled there and have told me the food is legit bland. Also, IIRC sausage is mainly breakfast food over there.

Yours look great!
I can attest to the bland comment as I lived in jolly ole England for 11 years. It does grow on you, but I was glad to get back to the states...

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky