iowa noob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikey2gunz

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Williamsburg, IA
Howdy,

Mike here. 42, happily married, BBQ fan. Looking to read a lot of threads and learn about using a smoker I purchased from a fellow in K.C.

Glad to have you along, Mike. Take a moment and sign up for Tulsa Jeff's 5 day eCourse. Lots of good info that everyone should have on hand.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm a total noob so here goes. If I had to choose from the terms you gave me, I'd say it's a:

Wood, Offset, Bullet????!!!!!!!! I'm still figuring out how to add images, so here are the details;

Smoker is 48" long and 20" deep
Firebox is 19" wide 22" Deep and 16" high
Grate in front of smoker is 10" wide by 48" long
Smoker tank is 1/4" thick
Frame is built out of 3/16" angle iron
Has firwood storage shelf under Smoker Tank
Shelf in Smoker goes all the way across and slides out!!!
Shelf in firebox removes for easy cleaning!!!
4 wheels for easy moving
Tel-Tru temp guage

First attempt at smoking ANYTHING ever will be tomorrow.....

2gunz

p.s., I've used this kind of forum before at clubchopper.com... the image thing here doesn't work the same?? assist please!

Looking forward to the pics Mike. You will find this site very handy and everyone knowledgable and willing to lend information (and they're entertaining)!! Have fun!

here goes......
e980_1.jpg

...and...

ef4b_1.jpg

...and...

f0b3_1.jpg

f4d0_1.jpg

Far as I'm concerned, it's pretty damn big for my needs. And I'll accept all the help I can get.

My first instinct is to paint it BLACK, yes?????

mike

Maybe you should send that one down to Louisiana and I will send you a smaller one
icon_mrgreen.gif

Sorry about that, but it looks like a real kick butt rig ya got there
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice pics, Mikey!! You have an "off-set" smoker-meaning that the firebox is off-set from the main food chamber. What are you planning on firing that bad boy up with, wood or charcoal? Anything picked out yet for your first victim. . er I mean first smoke.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Cajun,

Thanks for the welcome, and just gimme the address and I'll ship'r off on Monday. Heck.

So did I do well? I did research for about 2 months prior to making my purchase. An ebay item I watched like a hawk...I was out of town working and I had no chance to bid on it. It didn't sell so I called the guy up and asked if he would re-list it or sell it outright... he sold it to me for his opening bid price... 8 hours round-trip and a messed up I-35 through K.C. but I got'r home without a scratch!!!!

I'm such a noob I don't know if it's a gem, a turd, or if a red smoker's coolio!!!! paint it black???? I'll tell you this, the garage smells MMM MMM Good!

mike

Dutch,

I've some ribs to dry rub tonight.... (will probably add a sirloin just for fun, too) the seller gave me a dozen 12' x 3" logs of hickory so I'll use that. I thought I'd try some charcoal in a coffee can underneath the wood to get'er going. I'm kinda wondering how much wood to start off with, 2 or 3 maybe? Or even a better or different method of starting.... I don't know the 'right' way, as I've read so many different methods online.

mike

Gunslinger,

Thanks for the welcome. I work in Omaha a good bit and Council Bluffs once in a great while. I hope this smoker works as well as it makes my garage smell. Or, I suppose, I hope I can do the darn thing justice.... I've heard patience is a must.

Mike

Welcome Mike -

Nice rig! Just look around and you'll find help in just about anything you might want to smoke!

If you look along the left side bar

<-----

You'll even see places to help you make fire! (good place to start BTW)

icon_lol.gif

Welcome aboard 2 gunz glad to see another wood burner. Nice looking rig you got there. Im a wood burner also, did you build that smoker yourself. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks to DjDeb, mssmith, and ultramag for the welcome. I purchased the smoker from a guy in KC.

It's official. I'm still a noob, just not a virgin anymore. I started at 8:30 am and finished at 2:15 p.m.

It took awhile to get the fire started as I didn't want to use starting fluid. Once It started it took a good 45 minutes to get even close to hot enough. I'll use more kindling-- and I'm certain I can improve the initial startup next time.

I rubbed the ribs last night using the following:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. hot dry mustard
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper

I'm certain I used too much rub as the ribs were simply overpowered with the rub flavoring. I did not use ANY rub on the sirloin and it was a little dry, as I put it in for too long, but the flavor was PERFECT. I was thinking about next time using little to no rub at all, or any other rub recipe suggested by members.

The ribs were dry as well. I think that I got them too hot as the temp got to about 260 or 270ish a few times... and of course I was chasing the temp around for hours before finally settling down to 235ish for the finish.

All in all a wonderful day smoking with a pretty dang good meal after. Looking forward to next weekend-- gonna try again and will zero in on getting that temp steady.

Mike

Howdy mikey2gunz, and Welcome to the SMF!!! As far as your smoker is concerned I would say SCORE!!!. Looking foward to seeing the great Q that will be coming off it
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Keep plugging away at it. Try to pre-burn your wood and that will help giter going. Also, preheat your logs on the top of the firebox and they'll get going faster too.
There is a ton of great info in the wood smoker section. Read every bit of it, and it will help a bunch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky