Intro from E. TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Khrakk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
E. Texas
Hello everyone. I have been into smoking for many years, but in the last 8-ish years, it has become somewhat of a hobby of mine.

I initially started in the late 1990's with a Brinkman charcoal smoker (shaped like vertical tube). Although I enjoyed what was smoked with it, I found I had to constantly babysit it. It burned out or everything caught fire if I wasn't right there all the time. After a couple years, I graduated to an electric version of the brinkman smoker, and enjoyed that more because i did not have to hover.

Several years later, my wife got me a MES30 (2nd gen, the bad one, I think, based on Bear's MES thread). Initially, I was very disappointed with my MES. The heating element was used to heat the smoker and generate smoke and did not smoke much. Unfortunately, I think my MES is insulated enough that the heating element didn't run long enough to make any appreciable smoke. I was somewhat down on smoking until I came across the masterbuilt cold smoking attachment. Finally, I could generate all the smoke I wanted, so I was back in. All in all, I've gone through three masterbuilt cold smokering attachments. Unfortunately, after my last one went down, I discovered the cold smoking attachments from masterbuilt are no longer for sale. I replaced the switch then found out the terminal on the heating element went down. Anyways, this is how I ended up here. Researching replacement parts (no heating elements available for it either). So, I've got ideas which I'll throw up on another thread sometime. In the meantime, I've discovered if I throw a brick in my MES and leave the loading tube out, my MES smokes more, but not as much as the cold smoker.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here. This is an excellent forum with many great people. My favorite smoke combination is hickory with pork. I love smoking sausage, ribs, pork roasts, jerky, and etc. I made the pig shots a couple days ago (excellent recipe from Jeff). I'm still a brisket noob though.

Sorry for the book.

Steve

welcome to smf, it's a great site. I have a mes 30 and use the amnps tray with mailbox mod you may want to look into that, it works great

Welcome aboard from Northeast Ohio. This is a great place. I’ve learned a ton of things here and learn something new daily.

I will definitely check out the amnps if I dont get the cold smoker going again. Do most use it with the mailbox mod, or is it good enough to go in the mes?

I will definitely check out the amnps if I dont get the cold smoker going again. Do most use it with the mailbox mod, or is it good enough to go in the mes?
some people have luck putting the tray inside the mes, some don't, i'm one of the ones the amnps won't stay lit inside so I went to the mailbox mod, now 8-10 hours of continuous smoke, you'll have to try it inside yours to see if it will stay lit. if not you could always go to the mailbox mod, very easy to make.

Welcome to the forums, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Welcome from East TN. These guys already got you covered with the AMNPS. Ditch the chips and go to pellets you wont be disappointed. You should be able to find aftermarket parts off amazon or ebay fairly cheap for your heating element. Let us know if we can be of help!

Hey Steve Welcome to the Forum from a fellow East Texan

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky