Interesting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newsmokerky

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 25, 2014
Bowling Green
I was watching Pit Masters tonight. One of the competitors pulled and foiled his butts after 3 hours. He said after 3 hours, they wouldn't take any more smoke. I usually let smoke roll for about 5 hours, and foil about 170 or so. Thoughts?

Take what you see on those shows with a grain of salt. I like a more defined bark so I wait until way later to wrap, if I wrap at all. I am not competing though.

Take what you see on those shows with a grain of salt. I like a more defined bark so I wait until way later to wrap, if I wrap at all. I am not competing though.
He said it was for presentation so it didn't turn black. I find it hard to believe that the meat will only take smoke for 3 hours..... Just thought it was an interesting comment.

I've heard the same 3 hour thing before. I'm thinking it's probably accurate. That's not to say your bark won't continue to accumulate more smoke flavor and therefore darken. But I think beyond that you're not really influencing the meat with the extra.

Again as I say a lot it all comes down to personal preference. I don't wrap anything as a rule. My understanding is once the meat seals there is no farther penetration of smoke. However the bark will continue to darken and collect smoke.

Warren

A competitive flavor and texture, which those guys aim to hit, is not always the best for my preferences. Some of the worst smoking advice I've ever heard came out of those shows (if you ever see a bottle of fake butter in my cabinet, the world is coming to an end). They have to smoke to a clock, and even then they still make mistakes with all their experience. Either that, or it's all scripted.

I don't wrap anything in foil (except chuckies), and only occasionally wrap with butcher paper. The way I build my fire the meat gets smoke the entire time, but the right kind of smoke. And remember, black butts are beautiful!

Reactions: Richard Foster
A competitive flavor and texture, which those guys aim to hit, is not always the best for my preferences. Some of the worst smoking advice I've ever heard came out of those shows (if you ever see a bottle of fake butter in my cabinet, the world is coming to an end). They have to smoke to a clock, and even then they still make mistakes with all their experience. Either that, or it's all scripted.

I don't wrap anything in foil (except chuckies), and only occasionally wrap with butcher paper. The way I build my fire the meat gets smoke the entire time, but the right kind of smoke. And remember, black butts are beautiful!
I do wrap my butts. I did one without wrapping, and the bark was just too crusty. I wrap around 170 or so. Has good bark, and it doesn't get crusty. Besides, wrapping speeds the process up as well. I did a whole packer brisket Friday(18 pounds-probably 15 after trimming fat). Trimmed it and smoked the flat separate from the point. Wrapped each when they hit 175. The point still took 14 hours to get to 200. Both turned out incredible.

From what I've heard comp cooking in general is very different then how most folks smoke. I also believe the shows are scripted to make them interesting.

Chris

Reactions: Richard Foster
From what I've heard comp cooking in general is very different then how most folks smoke. I also believe the shows are scripted to make them interesting.

Chris

Well cooking at a comp runs a variety of styles including how a lot of average Joes smoke. However when it comes to BBQ Pitmasters show there is a huge difference. The very first season was a good representation of a KCBS comp for most of the shows. After the first season though they changed the format and just pitted a few competitors against each other and often had drastically changed times that they had to cook in to what would not be normal for a comp plus they throw in the extra challenges as well.

I like to foil long smokes at around 165°, after I got plenty of Smoke Flavor.
Thank God no Meat I ever Smoked stopped taking Smoke after 3 hours in the light to medium Blue Fog.
I often wonder where these guys dream this stuff up.

Bear

6 years ago, I researched then tested the concept that 3-4 hours will give all the smoke flavor you are going to get.
Every couple a years the subject comes up again. Here's what I found out...JJ
" It won't take no more Smoke after 4 hours..." HORSE HOCKEY!!!
I can't remember how many Butt's I have smoked and have always believed..." IT'S A SMOKER...IF THERE IS MEAT IN THERE. YOU SHOULD BE MAKING SMOKE! " So at a minimum when smoking a Butt, low and slow in my MES, I use a Full Load in the AMNPS and count on 10+ hours of that Sweet TBS to consistently Kiss My Butt...
biggrin.gif
I was looking at smoking a pair of Butts as a Test to see if " I " have been Blowing Smoke or, the 4 hour folks are correct...

The result in the MES with AMNPS...I applied 4 hours of Smoke and removed the AMNPS then let the Butts ride 10 more hours at 250*F to an IT of 205°. The finished Butts had a beautiful Bark, pulled easily and were very juicy...BUT...They had NO WHERE NEAR the wonderful " Smokey Flavor " that I have come to love from Butts that luxuriate in 10+ hours of Thin Blue Smoke! They were ok but there was a noticeable difference and my Family thought them bland and they do not like Too Smokey...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Different smokers and various fuels generate different types, colors and concentrations of smoke and we know out comes will vary. It is important to Practice. Experiment and Learn your smoker to determine how much, how long and what type of Smoke you wish to apply to your meat. But remember, there is no validity to General statements like..." It won't take no more Smoke after 4 hours "... Here is how Smoke Happens...

Smoke is made up of Gasses, some containing Nitrogen, Particles of assorted chemicals, most of which have a pleasant flavor, and some Tars and Oils. As the meat is being smoked many of these Gasses dissolve into the meats surface moisture. Since in the early stages this moisture can move in and out of the outer 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the meats surface we get flavor from these Gasses and in a chemical reaction between the Nitrogen Gas and the Myoglobin, the stuff that makes meat Red and does NOT contain any Blood, we get a permanent color change from red to pink. A Smoke Ring! During this chemical reaction the smoke Particles start building on the surface of the meat. Since they are too big to penetrate very far, the particles only accumulate on the surface with some of the smaller ones being carried an extremely short distance in with the surface liquids. Bottom line is Smoke is made up of many chemicals and gasses. The Gasses can combine with the meat juices, it will Absorb Smoke, and enter the meat until about 140*F(approx. 4 hours at 225-250°F) when the muscle fibers contract to the point that very little passes in or out...BUT...The flavorful smoke Particles will continue to built up on the surface, in other words it will continue to " Take Smoke ", as long as smoke is being applied to the meat.

So, no more " Smoke Ring " penetration after 140*F but " Smoke Flavor " will keep building until you remove the meat from the Smoke...JJ

BTW...Sorry there is no Qview, Casey had the camera with her for the weekend...
102.gif

I dont watch barbeque on TV because it's mostly a bunch of BS put out for commercial purposes. And barbeque ain't got anything to do with making styrofoam boxes of food look pretty. Besides I dont have to bury my meat in sauce so it can be chocked down. It's about cooking and eating not entertainment.

You know, while I don't necessarily disagree completely with your points, I do disagree with your attitude toward deciding what BBQ is. BBQ is whatever the cook wants it to be. If he/she wants to be competitive, then so be it. If he/she want's to banana leaf wrap and bury in hot coals, then so be it. If he/she mops/injects/rubs/wraps/sauces or leaves it naked as a jay bird, then so be it. But to try and pass judgment on what BBQ is more of a crime then what you are rallying against.

BBQ is great because it isn't just one thing. It isn't just one way of doing things. It is up to the cook/pitmaster and passing judgment is wrong in my opinion.

You know, while I don't necessarily disagree completely with your points, I do disagree with your attitude toward deciding what BBQ is. BBQ is whatever the cook wants it to be. If he/she wants to be competitive, then so be it. If he/she want's to banana leaf wrap and bury in hot coals, then so be it. If he/she mops/injects/rubs/wraps/sauces or leaves it naked as a jay bird, then so be it. But to try and pass judgment on what BBQ is more of a crime then what you are rallying against.

BBQ is great because it isn't just one thing. It isn't just one way of doing things. It is up to the cook/pitmaster and passing judgment is wrong in my opinion.

Have to agree with you on this. Many ways to do things BBQ. Just looking at this website will tell you that. From my point of view I have been lucky enough to meet a few of the people on the TV shows and sample their food. Got some really good stuff from a couple of them!

To this day, ask a group of people, young and old, North of the Mason Dixon Line, what Barbecue means to them and they will answer..." Dad Cookin Hamburgs and Dogs on the Grill in the backyard! "
Go to the town in NE PA my mom is from. Ask the locals what BARBECUE is. You'll be told, " a Sloppy Joe with Chips and a Pickle..." It is just what it's called there.
Yes,TECHNICALLY, Southern BBQ, is any Tough meat, Cooked/Smoked Low and Slow over Wood. But that don't mean, Hot and Fast, Pellet Grills, Gas Smokers, Electric Smokers, Charcoal Smokers or any other contraption, filled with Meat, makin, heat, smoke for Flavor ain't BARBECUE! ...JJ

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Actually here is a Definition of BBQ:
barbecue
or bar·be·que, bar-b-que
[ bahr-bi-kyoo ]
noun
pieces of beef, fowl, fish, or the like, roasted over an open hearth, especially whenbasted in a barbecue sauce.
a framework, as a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
a dressed steer, lamb, or other animal, roasted whole.

verb (used with object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to broil or roast whole or in large pieces over an open fire, on a spit or grill, oftenseasoning with vinegar, spices, salt, and pepper.
to cook (sliced or diced meat or fish) in a highly seasoned sauce.

verb (used without object), bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing.
to cook by barbecuing or to entertain at a barbecue:If the weather's nice, we'll barbecue in the backyard.
================================================

That's what they say (above).

However at the Bear's Den, we don't call anything BBQ:
The stuff I do other than Indoor Cooking in the oven, Sous Vide, or one of my other indoor toys would basically fall into the following categories.
#1. Smoking: Slow cooking in my enclosed Smoker with the amount of smoke that is needed to give a good tasting result.

#2Grilling: Fast cooking over a flame from Gas, Wood, Charcoal, or any other fuel that will give a tasty result.

Bear

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky