Interested in Opinions/Reviews from Meater Owners

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
Hello Friends,

I've been considering purchasing a Meater Plus bluetooth thermometer...and wanting to solicit opinions and/or reviews from any of you who own and use these. I really like the idea of a totally wireless probe that measures both internal meat temps and ambient cooker temps without futzing with multiple probes and probe wires. I like my Maverick and my Inkbird, but it'd sure be nice to eliminate stringing probe wires out of my cooker.

To those who've owned and/or used these...what say you? How do you think they perform? Do you trust their accuracy? How user friendly is the app? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the device? Would you buy it again, or steer clear and find something else?

Thanks in advance!

Red

Reactions: Twil6
I am in for the responses. I’m interested too. I can a lot of uses for these if they work. The Amazon reviews are hit and miss

Hey my friend, I do have a Meater plus but have not had the time to use it. Chatting a bit ago with dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 about it and he likes his! Maybe he will see this and chime in!

Howdy Justin!
Appreciate the reply! Once you’ve had a chance to use yours, I’d be interested in your thoughts. Hopefully Case will see this and give his opinion.

Thanks Brother!
Red

Last edited:
I got my meater plus about 6 months ago from Amazon,used it about 4 or 5 times now and I love it, It lets you know when to take it off the grill, smoker or oven, lets you know that the item needs to rest, then lets you it's time to eat. great little unit.

Reactions: seenred
I got my meater plus about 6 months ago from Amazon,used it about 4 or 5 times now and I love it, It lets you know when to take it off the grill, smoker or oven, lets you know that the item needs to rest, then lets you it's time to eat. great little unit.

Appreciate your input!
Red

They are now owned by Traeger so as they say......there goes the neighborhood.
I don't have one but also interested

For the Meater Plus, they claim a 165 ft. Range…which is one of the claims I’d like to verify about it’s performance.

Hoping to hear from some others with direct knowledge & feedback.

Red
I’ll keep checking back on the real-life range. I had an MES once that claimed a long Bluetooth range but it was completely dismal. I could pee farther than the Bluetooth range. Wife got mad at me because the guests all left at that point. :emoji_wink:

I’ll keep checking back on the real-life range. I had an MES once that claimed a long Bluetooth range but it was completely dismal. I could pee farther than the Bluetooth range. Wife got mad at me because the guests all left at that point. :emoji_wink:

Yeah there's no doubt that companies tend to exaggerate the capabilities of their products. On paper, the Meater Plus looks perfect, but...

Still hoping for real-world experiences.

Red

My son gave me one...it's a pretty cool little device, providing a wireless readout of both meat and smoker temp with a single probe. You do have to insert it just to the line on the probe for that to work, so you have a little less flexibility on how deep the probe can go. And it's a fairly thick probe, since the temperature sensors, battery, and transmitter are all contained in it; it's not something you could readily use with ribs or wings, for example.

The phone app is intuitive and easy to use. I found the range to be pretty good, but I've not measured it. When I'm inside, I'm rarely more than 100 feet or so from the smoker on the deck anyway. One thing to note, the probe pairs with the little wooden box that serves as both the charger for the rechargeable probe, and storage for the probe when not in use. It's the box that sends the wifi signal, so you have to keep the box outside, pretty close to the smoker, and out of the weather. Those times I've gotten an out-of-range error on my phone, it's been because I had the box too far from the smoker, not because I've had my phone too far from the box.

Overall, it's a really cool bit of engineering. I still tend to use my wired probes more often than the Meater, or else I'll use both...with the Meater in a pork butt or brisket, that meat can be taken from the smoker, wrapped in insulation, and put in a cooler to rest without messing with wires, while my wired probes stay in the smoker chamber and whatever other meat I still have on the smoker.

Last edited:
My son gave me one...it's a pretty cool little device, providing a wireless readout of both meat and smoker temp with a single probe. You do have to insert it just to the line on the probe for that to work, so you have a little less flexibility on how deep the probe can go. And it's a fairly thick probe, since the temperature sensors, battery, and transmitter are all contained in it; it's not something you could readily use with ribs or wings, for example.

The phone app is intuitive and easy to use. I found the range to be pretty good, but I've not measured it. When I'm inside, I'm rarely more than 100 feet or so from the smoker on the deck anyway. One thing to note, the probe pairs with the little wooden box that serves as both the charger for the rechargeable probe, and storage for the probe when not in use. It's the box that sends the wifi signal, so you have to keep the box outside, pretty close to the smoker, and out of the weather. Those times I've gotten an out-of-range error on my phone, it's been because I had the box too far from the smoker, not because I've had my phone too far from the box.

Overall, it's a really cool bit of engineering. I still tend to use my wired probes more often the Meater, or else I'll use both...with the Meater in a pork butt or brisket, that meat can be taken from the smoker, wrapped in insulation, and put in a cooler to rest without messing with wires, while my wired probes stay in the smoker chamber and whatever other meat I still have on the smoker.

This is exactly what I needed...thanks! One of the benefits I'm looking for is being able to wrap briskets and butts without messing with probe wires.

Appreciate the detailed response! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red

My wife gave me the Meater for my birthday. Its my first high end thermometer. I've always the cheap $15 wired ones from Walmart, so I don't really have much to compare it to. But I can at least give you whatever info I can.

For me, the range isn't quite enough. I haven't tested it by walking any distance outside, but its about 55' from the smoker to the back of the house and another 16' to the kitchen. Thats where I lose it. So about 70' and a wall is my range. I solved it by stealing my daughter's tablet, linking it to that, and then leaving it by the back door. And then I mirror the tablet to my phone through the house wifi and never lose it.

Unless you really need to keep a close eye on your cook, losing the signal isn't the end of the world. When you get close, it reconnects and the time you missed comes right back. For my Christmas prime rib, I brought everything over to my parents' to get it started and then had to go back home to gather up the family. As soon as I walked back in the door two hours later, the entire graph popped up like I never left. Not sure if the apps for other brands do this, but it was helpful.

The timer is really handy, too. It estimates the amount of time left in the cook and lets you know when to rest. It ended up in the ballpark to the timing that I had figured, so I just decided to follow it, and I wasn't disappointed. Best prime rib I've ever made.

For pork butt, and I assume other long cooks, the timer gets a little confused at the stall. It went from 3 hours remaining to 23 hours. I guess it works off of the current pace of increasing heat.

My wife gave me the Meater for my birthday. Its my first high end thermometer. I've always the cheap $15 wired ones from Walmart, so I don't really have much to compare it to. But I can at least give you whatever info I can.

For me, the range isn't quite enough. I haven't tested it by walking any distance outside, but its about 55' from the smoker to the back of the house and another 16' to the kitchen. Thats where I lose it. So about 70' and a wall is my range. I solved it by stealing my daughter's tablet, linking it to that, and then leaving it by the back door. And then I mirror the tablet to my phone through the house wifi and never lose it.

Unless you really need to keep a close eye on your cook, losing the signal isn't the end of the world. When you get close, it reconnects and the time you missed comes right back. For my Christmas prime rib, I brought everything over to my parents' to get it started and then had to go back home to gather up the family. As soon as I walked back in the door two hours later, the entire graph popped up like I never left. Not sure if the apps for other brands do this, but it was helpful.

The timer is really handy, too. It estimates the amount of time left in the cook and lets you know when to rest. It ended up in the ballpark to the timing that I had figured, so I just decided to follow it, and I wasn't disappointed. Best prime rib I've ever made.

For pork butt, and I assume other long cooks, the timer gets a little confused at the stall. It went from 3 hours remaining to 23 hours. I guess it works off of the current pace of increasing heat.

Thank you Nate! I'm less concerned about the timer function than the range and temperature accuracy. I'm looking mostly for the convenience of having a meat probe without wires. I doubt range will ever be an issue, since I run my cookers right outside my garage door. I'm rarely more than 50-60 feet away.

Good info...thanks again!
Red

I’ve used my MEATER+ for just over 2 years. The Bluetooth range isn’t great. However, I now leave an old iPhone or iPad within 20 ft of the cook and via MEATERCloud I can view that status on my phone from anywhere I get Wi-Fi or cellular service. Using this work around I love the MEATER+ and use for every cook.

I would like to know more about longevity. A few of the online reviews indicated that the unit quit working after a couple of uses. Of course, those reviews lacked details.
So I take those reviews with a grain of salt.

I got one as a present and I only use it in the oven in the house because my grill wired probes read through the grill app where I control and monitor the grill. And I can read and use the app anywhere. No range limits. I’ve adjusted the cook temp and received alarms from across town.

that said in the oven the air temp reads low if the oven is not on convection bake which I find annoying. The meat probe works very good and seems to be accurate

Does this thermometer beep constantly like the Inkbird I have? I can't shut off the beeps without losing phone alerts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky