Inkbird New Waterproof Instant Thermometer Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
I know several folks have posted some great reviews, here is mine.

Product was sealed with no damage or issues with outer box.
vYrDAJi.jpg

ZggbTGP.jpg

Product is securely packaged in the box with foam fitted cutouts.
XFbGJaq.jpg

Contents of package include the thermometer, charging cable, calibration instruction card.
4fQxyKA.jpg

I charged the unit once opened, only took 20 minutes to reach 100%.

Some of the literature specifications:
The unit will maintain a charge for 11 hours
temperature range is -50F to 572F.
Waterproof stated as IPX5, which appears to mean it will be fine for light water splashes/rain and cleaning, but not submersible.
Temperature accuracy +\- 2F

My tests:
Weight, 2.8 Oz.
Length closed, 6 1/4”
Metal Probe length 4 1/8”
Overall opened length 10 5/8” (There is the pivot piece connecting metal probe to the unit body, hence the additional length total more than just adding the two sections).
Unit body is magnetic.
When the probe opens, it automatically turns on with backlight. After 20 seconds the backlight goes off, temp remains shown.
The temperature numbers are static, meaning it does not rotate depending on how you are holding the unit.
Leaving the probe extended, unit turns off completely at 10 minutes.
It does not turn back on unless probe is closed then reopened, or quickly press the black “hold” button.
To use the temperature hold feature, you press the hold button for 2 seconds the temperature reading will hold and an indication HOLD will be displayed in corner of the screen. To unlock just briefly (1 sec) press the hold button again.

Accuracy testing
I did both ice and boiling water multiple times, some from ice to boiling and back, some from room temp to each.
Both hit exactly 32 and 212.
Because they are accurate I didn’t try the calibration feature.
The literature claims to read a temperature within 3-5 seconds.
From room temp to ice or boiling ranged from 4 to 8 seconds with an average of 5.35 seconds overall.
Considering my MK4 averages 3 seconds, this is impressive!

Overall Impression
The Good
Build quality appears to be good.
I like the thick sealing tab to cover to the charging port to help with keeping it free from liquids/dust/dirt/grease etc.
The accuracy is spot on.
Speed to reach temperature is excellent.
The backlight makes reading the temp easy.

I would call this the bad section, but it’s more of a “nick pick” section, these are minor issues and truly first world issues.

The numbers don’t rotate, they stay in one position.
Unit doesn’t turn on automatically when picked up after shutting down with probe extended. Have to close and reopen the probe, or briefly touch the hold button as mentioned above.

Would I recommend this unit?
Yes! For the cost, this is a great deal IMO.
Accurate, fast, rechargeable.
I believe this will perform as well as my IBT-6X and IBT-6XS.

I give it a 5 out of 5

*Full disclosure: Inkbird provided the IBT-1P for me to use and review. Their generosity is greatly appreciated.

I have about a 4-5 year history with inkbird both for homebrew and bbq uses. When dealing with Inkbird directly (not 3rd-party), they have never fallen short of expectations - as long as you have realistic expectations and customers service has been great.

If any doubts, read reviews on Amazon or similar sites. Negative reviews are mostly from people did not order through authorized resellers or have unrealistic expectations.

Most of these are budget items. Comparing this to a thermapen, I expect superior performance from a $100 device as compared to this $20 pen.

And nothing against thermapen, but I ask myself are the pros of the thermapen worth the $80 difference?

Reactions: Inkbirdbbq
I have about a 4-5 year history with inkbird both for homebrew and bbq uses. When dealing with Inkbird directly (not 3rd-party), they have never fallen short of expectations - as long as you have realistic expectations and customers service has been great.

If any doubts, read reviews on Amazon or similar sites. Negative reviews are mostly from people did not order through authorized resellers or have unrealistic expectations.

Most of these are budget items. Comparing this to a thermapen, I expect superior performance from a $100 device as compared to this $20 pen.

And nothing against thermapen, but I ask myself are the pros of the thermapen worth the $80 difference?
Thank you. Inkbird won't let you down!:emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky