Insulating OKJ FB with 55gal drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfpro2301

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Hey All

I am down to last 3 mods on the OKJ RF. Stack, thicker baffle plate, insulated FB

want to get going on FB and with cost of 1/8 and 1/4 steel I had an idea on using a 55 gal drum as outer shell. Would cut to fit length of current box and slide over after removing existing handle and hot plate. Std Drum dimensions looks like would give me 2” insulation space all the way around. I would seal up ends and modify the Yoder door I have to use as a side loader. I lined the bottom of OKJ FB with 1/4” steel making it 3/8” thick now. Think this is a good cheap way of insulating the box?

I care more about functionality but also dont want it to look stupid. How do you think would look with Diameter of outer shell on FB being greater than cook chamber?

if it works who cares, look at me I'm the stupidest looking thing you'll see but since I work its overlooked :emoji_laughing:

Planning on doing FB insulation this weekend. To keep it simple thought about not insulating back and front. Just wrap 2in ceramic fiber insulation around FB then seal with drum. Thoughts on this?

All my previous FB that were insulated were covered on all sides. Still get benefit of insumated box going this route?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky