Insulated Blanket on Pellet Cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

Are there any issue using an insulated blanket on a pellet cooker in warmer weather?

I have a Traeger Pro 34 with the Traeger blanket. The weather is warming up now (around 70*).

Thank you!

I never tried but, can't see a issue. Electric Smokers are well insulated and used year round without issues. May even be a benefit when Cold Smoking on hot days...JJ

why? I have one for me rec tec and it say not to use above outside temps over 60F. I would think it would hose up the feed rate to temp ratio an would run hot..alot. and possible fire hazard?

I have a cover for my Pit Boss. It also says not to use in warm weather as it can cause either not enough pellets to drop (flame out) or too many to drop in when it restarts (fire). I will have to find the paperwork if i still have it.

My GMG says not to use during warm weather because it can work against having stable temps. I just took mine off for the summer.

I dont use a blanket if its not below 50. Might save a few pellets but they are pretty cheap compaired to charcoal imo

Morning everyone. I smoked a butt for 8 hours yesterday, with the Traeger set at 250*. It was on average between 60-70* F outside, with some wind (which is common where I live).

The but my turned out great, and there were no real issues. HoWeber, it did feel like the temps were a bit less stable than usual. Not sure if this was due to the blanket or not, or maybe the wind was to blame. Ill plan to remove the blanket for the next cook, since it’s finally warming up here, and see if temps hold more steady.

433F474A-412E-47B0-9303-E29328A9B47D.jpeg

Reactions: Fueling Around
I have the insulating blanket on my Pro Series and have never taken it off. It's not in direct sunlight though. Never had a problem with flame outs. I live in South Texas and it gets plenty hot.

I use a welding blanket on my GMG, especially when smoking overnight or during windy conditions, and it's usually windy around here. Saves on fuel, which is nice at night so I don't have to get up at night as often to refill the hopper. It's out of direct sunlight, also.

If you're burning less fuel, you're also getting less smoke on your meat. Doesn't seem like a good idea for a pellet burner when it's not cold and windy out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky