Instat cure #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forvols

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Northeast Tennessee
I bought several 1oz and 4oz packs of cure #1 (pink salt) about 3yrs ago. The packages are unopened . Question does cure #1 lose the curing properties over time if unopened is what I have still safe to use?

Thanks

You should be fine. The only time I threw some out was when I didn't the pack good enough. And it collected moisture.

You should be fine. The only time I threw some out was when I didn't the pack good enough. And it collected moisture.
Steve, don't throw cure next time... essentially, salt have infinite shelf life... ( iodised salt will loose iodine) ...if moist, spread cure over parchment paper and dry it in oven on low temp......

Steve, don't throw cure next time... essentially, salt have infinite shelf life... ( iodised salt will loose iodine) ...if moist, spread cure over parchment paper and dry it in oven on low temp......

Good tip. And thanks. I have so many packs of it. I just didn't feel like messing with it. It was only a few ounces.

Store in mason jars, just make sure to label between cure 1 & 2.

too bad they don't sell mason jars with open proof seal cap... lol... sorry guys, I couldn't miss this one... lol... I apologize...
seriously, salt will draw moisture from surounding area no matter what, so, even if your cure mix is wet, all you have to do is dry it out a bit before you sprinkle cure over the meat... wet cure salt mix resurrect its properties once dried out which doesnt mean it looses its properties unless it is iodized salt..... if wet it will loose iodine ...
but salt will remain salt and who cares about iodine, right? you don't wanna use iodized salt to cure anyhow...

I use the mason jar for TQ and vac seal . I cut out and taped the back of the bag to the jar .

I use the mason jar for TQ and vac seal . I cut out and taped the back of the bag to the jar .
exactly the same. my TQ and other cures don't seem to absorb moisture. All I have to do is compare it to all my salt and sugars package in regular containers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky