Installing a Probe Port

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinLoos

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Perrysburg, Ohio
Hi, I have a Horizon 20” Classic offset (0.25” steel) smoker. I’ve been running wired temp probes (ThermoWorks smoke) to my meats. As there is no probe port I run the wires under my cooking chamber door causing a continuous small leak. I run 2-4 probes during a cook. What port do you recommend adding?

I need it to be able to accommodate 2-4 wired probes and be usable with 1/4” steel.

IMG_1631.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure what you mean by "adding" a probe port.
Probe ports are just holes drilled in the side with a little flap that swings down to close when not in use.

Reactions: JustinLoos
Here is one option. If you think you need a larger one, they also make a 'smoke hole' which is designed as a vent, but can also work as a probe port.

By “adding” I mean drilling into my smoker above the grate and using some kind of metal or silicone device to accommodate the probes.

I'd recommend drilling a hole about 2-1/4 times the width of the widest part of the probe.
The more probes you have going through it will make the hole smaller for the next probe.

Then add a probe port cover large enough to cover the hole.

I would run all four through the stack side, between the stack and the front, just above the grate. I'd also make a little mount for the display device. That would keep all that mess out of the way of the door, shelf and rack.

Last edited:
I came here to post about cord grips but see I'm late to the party

I can sneak mine through the vertical cook chamber, but I would have a hard time drilling a hole in my smoker.
6DB677F3-D595-4D65-8638-0D4F7B8595E4.jpeg

I would certainly look at all your options first. I guess it’s not very tough to weld the hole back up if you don’t like it

I can sneak mine through the vertical cook chamber, but I would have a hard time drilling a hole in my smoker.
View attachment 671196
I would certainly look at all your options first. I guess it’s not very tough to weld the hole back up if you don’t like it
Running the cords through the stack is definitely the easiest solution.

That’s a nice setup you have there! You got those dogs to guard the smoker, right?

Running the cords through the stack is definitely the easiest solution.

That’s a nice setup you have there! You got those dogs to guard the smoker, right?
Thanks. My pups are always close when a smoker fires up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky