Insane Italian: Grilled Spaghetti w/ Spicy Italian Sausage (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This was dinner Friday. Was in the pool thinking about dinner but wanted to do something new, different, and creative. Although it was warm, I really wanted some spicy Italian. We both love it but it's typically a cool weather meal. I didn't care this time. Here is what my deviant little mind came up with.

Got some cured, dry aged spicy Italian sausage out of the freezer
001.jpg

Started the spicy red sauce going
002.jpg

Got out 2 small cast iron baking dishes, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and lined with sliced provolone cheese
005.jpg

Chop up the sausage and add to the baking dish
007.jpg

Add some shaved Bellafoglia Parmesan
008.jpg

A nice does of the spicy red sauce. Look at all the garlic!!
009.jpg

Spaghetti noodles
010.jpg

More red sauce
011.jpg

Shredded Parmesan cheese and we are ready to go on the grill
012.jpg

Wanted to do some cheesy garlic bread. This is my garlic and herb infused olive oil
013.jpg

Brush it on the bread
014.jpg

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan
015.jpg

Dipping sauce for the bread with some of the olive oil and fresh ground Italian herbs
016.jpg

Spaghetti coming along nicely
020.jpg

Done and in the house. These cast iron baking dishes are HOT!!
021.jpg

Bread all done
023.jpg

Plated and ready to eat
024.jpg

I was really hoping the Provolone that lined the baking dishes would stand up and retain the shape of the dish but kinda had my doubts. Turned out my doubts were correct. It stayed somewhat in tact but oozed when I took it out of the dish. Oh well, it was still REALLY good. The spaghetti picked up some of the smokiness you get from a well seasoned grill, the sauce is deep rich, and spicy, the bread had the prefect little crunch, and the dipping sauce is to die for. All of the cheese really balanced out the spiciness of the sauce and developed some incredible flavor components with a lot of complexity. This was a first but certainly not the last.

Now to last night's dinner, but in a different thread, in a different sub-forum.

Thanks for dropping in,
Robert

Looks good Robert. Neat idea there.

Thanks Steve!! This one was really fun to put together and even more fun to eat. I still stand behind anything cooked outside always tastes better than in an oven.

Robert

Looks great! How did you make the Garlic Oil and where is it stored?...JJ

Looks great Robert! I like the idea of the CI on the grill. That plated shot looks fantastic.

Like!

What a great looking meal !! Awesome pics and details too... Love it !:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Very much appreciate the accolades. Thank you Mike. I tend to try to put as much detail in the posts as possible to minimize guess work by other members who read what I've posted.

Robert

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I agree but i think it would be fun to do a blind tasting experiment sometime.

Sounds good to me. I'm up for it. Question is who will be cooking and who will be the blind tasters?? :emoji_wink:

I'd rather cook....
Robert

Last edited:
Looks awesome! Was the sausage made by you?

Thank you and yes, I made the sausage. Matter of fact, I have a freezer full of homemade sausage. Starting to get a bit low on some though so may have to make some more pretty soon.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great! How did you make the Garlic Oil and where is it stored?...JJ

Thanks Jimmy!! Here are a few pics of the process

Herbs tied up in a piece of cheese cloth
001.jpg

002.jpg

Drop the herb ball into a half gallon of organic EVOO along with about 80 cloves of garlic. you can see the herb ball at the bottom.
004.jpg

It sits on the shelf in the pantry alongside my spicy pepper infused vinegar
005.jpg

We love this stuff!!
Robert

Looks great Robert! I like the idea of the CI on the grill. That plated shot looks fantastic.

Thanks Joe!! If you really wanna see some cool stuff done in CI, check out my thread from weekend before last with the tomahawk rib eyes and another one I posted this morning about a smoked reverse seared tri tip. Both are in the Beef section. Did a couple of different cobblers and they were fantastic!!

Robert

I bet the flavor is great! You should take a look at the Article below. I want you around to post all that good food...JJ

Wow....I appreciate that Jimmy. Silly question. They make mention of using a preservative in the oil to prevent the possibly growth of bacteria from the garlic. Do you by chance have any idea what that preservative may be? I have several bottles of this stuff done up to give as gifts and I'd hate to poison somebody but putting the oil in the fridge is a pain. It coagulates, gets really thick, and is pretty much unusable until it warms to room temp.

Any guidance wold be appreciated,
Robert

Commercially they add an Acidifying chemical. The University of Maine Extension talks about it but says it requires a Trained person to determine the safe amounts to use. The only other method I know of is Heating the whole deal to 250°F for at least 3 minutes. This kills the Botulinum Spores. Unfortunately, this has to be done at preparation time as there is no way to tell if or whenToxin Generation has started.
The down side is if using a High Quality EVOO, you may lose some of those nuancedays flavors.

What you have there can be Cooked with or Heated before using as a Bread Dip.
The Botulism Toxin is inactivated at 176°F+. NO more Dipping unless heated and cooled first...JJ

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky